Go Down

Topic: Converting From Breadboard To Microcontroller (Read 831 times) previous topic - next topic

I was wondering if it's easy to convert all of the components on a breadboard to the actual microcontroller. I haven't got my arduino but I was just wondering this. (So if this is a really stupid question that's why)

Senso

What?
Converting components into a micro-controller?
Did you mean connecting?..

Yeah, that's what I mean. What I'm saying is when I start to stop prototyping I don't want to have that white board. Is it easy to connect it up to the microcontroller without the breadboard?

retrolefty

Yeah, that's what I mean. What I'm saying is when I start to stop prototyping I don't want to have that white board. Is it easy to connect it up to the microcontroller without the breadboard?

No, the arduino board is not designed to have any external components directly mounted to it. What some do is purchase a proto-shield board and mount your external components on that shield board which then mates with the arduino board.

Here is an example of a protoshield board: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/7914

Lefty

Would this:
http://www.robotshop.com/sfe-arduino-protoshield-kit-4.html

Work with an Arduino Uno? And also, would I need a breadboard to use that?

Thanks

Simpson_Jr

Nope, apparently you can use a breadboard with it, but don have to.
If you would like to do without you'll have to solder the components on the shield though. The breadboard probably won fit any more after that.

The shield is a permanent board, you may be able to desolder components and put others in place, but there's a big chance it will ruin the board. It's best to use it with project you'll know you use often and don't need to change much afterwards.

You could also buy perfboard which is pretty much the same as the shield. Disadvantage is that you still have to wire the connections between your arduino and the board, advantage... it comes in larger sizes as well and is often a lot cheaper.

Go Up