Go Down

Topic: MKR 1300 power consumption too hight (Read 415 times) previous topic - next topic

Tirititelu

Good morning everyone,

I recently acquired the Arduino of the matter and after trying it a little I am a bit disappointed / lost since I have been doing consumer tests using various libraries "LowPower" such as "LowPower.h" and "ArduinoLowPower.h" with their respective functions standby () and deepSleep () but not lower than 20mA (in both cases).

Over there I read that values of 1.5mA are obtained using these libraries, but I can not get below 20mA even sleeping the Murata chip (radio) with the sleep () function of the library "Lora.h" of Arduino- Lora.

On the other hand, it seems very high consumption in normal operation (32mA) if we compare it with other plates on the market focused on low consumption that are usually around 12mA.

The tests I am relizando feeding the plate to 5.5V by pin Vin, as I have fed the rest of plates that I have tested (Moteino, Lora32u4 II) with which I have obtained values of 12mA in normal mode and 0.6mA in sleep mode.

Let's see if anyone can help me understand what is happening or what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you very much.

sslupsky

Hi Tirititelu,

The sleep() function in the MKRWAN.h does nothing.  The mkrwan-1300fw is supposed to sleep the Murata module when it is idle.

I have achieved 1.16mA during sleep.  Im my view this is still two orders of magnitude too high to be useful for a battery operating application. 

At the moment I suspect that the Murata firmware isn't actually sleeping properly.  Unfortunately, I do not know why.

There is a line of code in wiring.c (see below) in the Arduino library that sets all the IO pins to floating inputs.  You need to comment out the pinMode line.

// Setup all pins (digital and analog) in INPUT mode (default is nothing)
  for (uint32_t ul = 0 ; ul < NUM_DIGITAL_PINS ; ul++ )
  {
    pinMode( ul, INPUT ) ;
  }

I am unsure of what the quiescent current of the LDO regulator is and haven't been able to track down which regulator is used as the schematics use a generic name and not the actual part number.

I apply 3.3V to the Vin (Vbatt) pins.

Tirititelu

I do not use the MKRWAN.h library, I use the Lora.h library.

What library does "wiring.c" belong to?.

Thanks.

Go Up