Substitute for a reed switch?

Well I'm making an RPM meter for my bike and I was just wondering if thee is something else I can use to trigger the rotation instead of a reed switch?

You could use a hall-effect sensor; you could also use an optical sensor of some sort (you would likely need to use modulated IR light to prevent interference from external light sources)...

Hi,

If you're trying to find a local supplier, look for a "window switch" for alarm systems: Radio Shack or your local alarm guy??

They are usually a magnet and reed switch...

Polishdude20,

Try to keep this conversation, that obviously is connected to one subject, inside one topic. Now it has been broken at least into four places.
Don't create more topics anyway.
Sorry about the nagging, but that is a bit annoying when I'm following the project to proceed.

But to the question.
Reedswitch and hallsensor, both needs magnet to trigger. Mechanical switches are not good choice, noise, worn issues...
What is left, optical was mentioned.
IR encoder wheel near the axel is nice, but the dust and dirt is not. But can be covered any how.

One thing you are still missing in your project is to follow how fast rider is moving his/her legs, pedals(?), what is that part???

Cheers,
Kari

The obvious question -

Why don't you want to use a reed switch ? They are simple, cheap and utterly reliable

They are simple, cheap and utterly reliable

Dunno what reliable reed switches you have - they're simple, cheap, made of glass, mechanical switches which need debouncing.

Hall effect switches are almost as cheap and are rather more reliable.

made of glass

Fragile. I've replaced a few that were not in the correct "environment" for a GLASS based device.

well I found a good supplier (bgmicro) and their shipping is great so I might just get some reed switches from them after all and maybe a hall effect sensor.

Gary about the riders legs, who said I will be measuring the riders leg speed? Cause I'll just be measuring the wheel revolutions.

Now, use your head before answering. It is an option. But if you don't know that you might need it, then you probably don't.
That would give you something you don't think at a moment, one extra information.

Cheers,
Kari

mowcius:

They are simple, cheap and utterly reliable

Dunno what reliable reed switches you have - they're simple, cheap, made of glass, mechanical switches which need debouncing.

Hall effect switches are almost as cheap and are rather more reliable.

But what if he wants to pedel other then due north. ?

Lefty you make me smile :slight_smile:

mowcius:

Great, does that mean you got over that revolution (1776) thing between us. :wink:

Lefty

Great, does that mean you got over that revolution (1776) thing between us.

That what thing? Did we have a thing going on? That thing? :stuck_out_tongue:

A ABS VR-sensor rescued from a scrapped car maybe ?

retrolefty:

mowcius:

Great, does that mean you got over that revolution (1776) thing between us. :wink:

Lefty

We consider you our wife, we just let you think you got the upper hand :wink:

Okay I found BGmicro has a good price on reed switches + shipping. Does anyone know of any cheaper places to buy reed switches?

Ebay probably.

Hall effect sensors would be a better buy.. Much more reliable, better detection at speed and much less prone to smashing.

I would use hall. Reed is old fashion...

Cheers,
Kari

Reed is old fashion...

Really, I thought 80s was old fashion :smiley: