Go Down

Topic: Quick urgent PWM question (Read 828 times) previous topic - next topic

SouthernAtHeart

HOPING TO ETCH MY BOARD TODAY, AND NEED ONE THING VERIFIED:
I'm wanting to fade Spakfun's 16x2 LCD display.  the specs are:
LED forward voltage  4.2   (4.6 V max)
forward current 120    (160 mA  max)

I had it prototyped on my board through a 100 ohm resistor off a PWM pin from the Uno and it seemed to fade in and out okay, but for 120 mA, shouldn't I have a transistor drive it or something, since the I/O pins are limited at 40ma?
I have the backlight negative connected to ground, the positive goes through the 100 ohm resisitor to a jumper that I can switch from either 5+, or to the D0 pin. With this config. what transisitor & bais resistor would I need coming off the D0 pin?
If someone could recommend what transistor to use, I don't understand them all together yet.  Not sure if I need a PNP or a NPN for this type of config.  I have a lot of common transistors, just don't know which one I need to use here.
Thanks

mowcius

Do you have any nice MOSFETs?

Yes you should be driving it through a transistor - NPN would probably be best although it doesn't matter too much - re wiring, use the search bar - someone asked only a few days back about PWM and LCD backlights.

RuggedCircuits

I've used this circuit in the past with good success:

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

floresta

Rugged:

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add a current limiting resistor so that you don't have to rely on the PWM being set properly to avoid excessive LED/Arduino current?

Don

RuggedCircuits

I haven't found it necessary but it might not be a bad idea overall. I modified the image to include the resistor.

--
The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

SouthernAtHeart

Thanks for the good schema, rugged!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy