Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: RF Communication  (Read 4089 times)
Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The VALUE for the pin number doesn't even have to be realistic. 255 works as well as any value from 0 to 13.

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

The advantage of using virtualwire over serial (hard or soft) is that it attempts to balance out the 1's & 0's in the data stream so the primitive AGC on the ASK receivers achieves some kind of balance.  Serial doesn't do this (it doesn't need to under usual circumstances) and big lumps of certain values going through can cause the AGC to become unbalanced and miss data.  On the downside virtualwire is far harder to understand than serial........
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:26:56 am by stephen_t » Logged

View Profile

Thanx u guys now i understood smiley-grin
One thing though

The VALUE for the pin number doesn't even have to be realistic. 255 works as well as any value from 0 to 13.

Are u saying it need not be any pin no.? say a pin no. 2(as Tx) and a pin no. 255(as Rx) on the transmitter side Arduino? because I really dont want to waste a pin which i don't use as Tx/Rx in case of SoftwareSerial.
From my understanding both rx and tx are defined merely for calling the function in SoftwareSerial and you basically don't use rx pin in case of Transmitter Arduino?  smiley

@pluggy
Thanx for the accurate reply. That was what I was looking for  smiley-wink

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

As long as you aren't transmitting, you don't need to connect a pin to TX. If you aren't receiving, you don't need to connect a pin to RX. In which case, you would just use 255 for the "pin" that TX (or RX) is connected to, and SoftwareSerial will be happy.

View Profile

Cool. Thats just the thing I needed. Thanx for the replies smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: