Go Down

Topic: Using Python to pull API info, and scroll on Arduino LCD? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Piethon

Jul 14, 2014, 03:05 am Last Edit: Jul 14, 2014, 04:12 am by Piethon Reason: 1
Howdy howdy,

I am learning how to use APIs with Python, and would like to scroll some information my script pulls on the LCD I have hooked up to my Arduino Uno.  I am mainly trying to do this as a general exercise to learn how to use Python and Arduino together. I have been able to get an LED to light up when the Python script reaches a certain point (I had another thread here), but now instead of just sending a value to look for, I actually want to sent strings from my Python script to the LCD.

Is this even a recommendable thing to do, or should I look in to running the API stuff in solely Arduino (is that even possible?).

I have read about Firmata and PyMata (https://github.com/MrYsLab/PyMata) but am not really sure how to get started with either Firmata or PyMata (I'm relatively new to Python/Arduino/programming).  Are there any good tutorials or can someone point me in the right direction?

If I can clarify what I am trying or why, please let me know! Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Edit:  Thinking about it, I could use my Python script to write the strings/values to a TXT/CSV/etc file, and then have Arduino read the file and output the strings to the LCD, but I am trying to find a way to do it without the "text file middle-man".

Robin2

I don't understand why you have started a new Thread because the example code I linked to in your other Thread can be amended to do what you are asking about here.

I suggest you ask the moderator to merge this Thread with the other one so that everyone has easy access to all of the information. Click Report to Moderator in this Post because you can't do it on your own Posts.

...R

Piethon

Jul 15, 2014, 03:08 am Last Edit: Jul 15, 2014, 03:12 am by Piethon Reason: 1

I don't understand why you have started a new Thread because the example code I linked to in your other Thread can be amended to do what you are asking about here.

I suggest you ask the moderator to merge this Thread with the other one so that everyone has easy access to all of the information. Click Report to Moderator in this Post because you can't do it on your own Posts.

...R

Ah, thanks I'll do that.  I started a new thread because some forums seem to be kind of against "tacking on questions", but Arduino.cc seems to be more laid back about it,  XD

Robin2

Go Up