Go Down

Topic: Can't upload new Uno; previous Duemilanove worked fine (Read 783 times) previous topic - next topic

zken

Hardware: Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Software: Windows XP
Arduino Uno with Version 0022

I originally installed Arduino Duemilanove 3 weeks ago without any problems and had much success with several beginning projects, e.g. blinking leds, fading leds, etc.  Yesterday I received a new Arduino Uno and attempted to install it.  Installation failed with the error message below.

"The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

When I tried to upload a sketch that had worked on the Duemilanove  I received this error message:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

After much searching/reading on several forums, I realized that in order for the UNO to install properly, I must first delete the old Duemilanove  drivers (because they are FTDI  drivers) and then install the Uno USB CDC drivers.  The port for the UNO is not showing up in the Device Manager. I tried the  RunOnce" key idea KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion"), but it did not work.

That is where my expertise stops.  I don't know the names of the old FTDI drivers (something about INF and xxx files(?) and where they are located on my computer.  Can I get some advice on how to uninstall the old Duemilanove  drivers and then install the correct drivers for the Uno?  Thanks.

pluggy

Mar 27, 2011, 04:43 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2011, 05:12 pm by pluggy Reason: 1
You don't need to uninstall the Duemilanove drivers, they just lie dormant unless you plug the Duemilanove in.  It would be a bit of a pain if you had to uninstall drivers to swap between using a Duemilanove and a Uno like it would be a pain to have to uninstall your webcam to use the printer.  If you've already done this : http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/235959-cannot-find-file-specified-during.html and you pointed the wizard at the drivers folder (not the FTDI folder within it) , Its scrub Windows and start again time, that is sure to fix it (It fixes almost everything).

Just for you, I tried this on my XP test system, it works fine with both boards (& drivers) connected at once, it can upload to either just by changing the board type & com port in the IDE.

Duemilanove (COM7) and Uno (COM8) at the same time.

http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

zken

Pluggy,
Thanks so much for your help.  One half of the problem is solved.  The clue in your response was here: "and you pointed the wizard at the drivers folder (not the FTDI folder within it)."  Once I pointed the wizard at the drivers folder (not the FTDI folder), it installed perfectly on COM5 and everything looked fine.  So I excitedly loaded the PIN 13 one-led-blinky sketch to test the Uno, and .......  same error message as before:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

In reading many postings yesterday, many other people have encountered this same error message, but I can't seem to find anyone who has posted their solution.  I cannot reload Windows XP, since when I purchased the laptop in 2003, XP was already installed and there was no Windows XP CD. 

Any other ideas for me?????   Thanking you in advance ...

mellis

You picked the right COM port and "Arduino Uno" from the Tools menu in the software?  Make sure you don't have any programs running that might be trying to use any COM ports (e.g. things that sync with phones / PDAs, or USB mobile internet dongles, etc.).  Some firewalls can also block communication.

spycatcher2k

Have you restarted windows?  Check the correct com port is selected before uploading.

Drew.
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

zken

Pluggy, Spycatcher2k, and Mellis,
Success! Thank you SO MUCH for your assistance.  The second half of the problem was fixed when I set the Serial Port to COM5 as was suggested!  I'm a happy camper once again and ready to continue my "newbieness."

This is a great forum.  I look forward to your help in the future.
- zken -

Go Up