Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Matsushita #EDM-LG64AA44D. 8.25" x 5.2" graphic display module with EL Backlight  (Read 1503 times)
Los Angeles, CA, United States
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a Matsushita #EDM-LG64AA44D. 8.25" x 5.2" graphic display module with electroluminescent backlight from http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LCD-103/640-X-400-LCD-DISPLAY-W/-EL-BACKLIGHT/-/1.html Has anyone been close or able to hook something like this. If so how do I hook it up to my duemilanove. I am clueless, but I do believe based on the datasheet that it is a 8bit lcd.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:43:49 pm by Carnyworld » Logged

C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

View Profile

I just found this information if it would help:

"Useful Information
Great LCD! I'm using it as my project for my Independent Study class. I'm making a graphics controller.

It requires a few parts to get it to work. Luckily these parts are on AllElectronics so if you order this LCD, get them too. You will need them.

For connecting to it's connector, I used a 20-pin 0.100"-spaced right-angle male header and attached wires to it. Just make sure to do a continuity test on all the pins to ensure contact is being made. You can find this in any electronics store for $1.

For system power, I used a +9V adapter and a 7805T to get +5V. The specific adapter I used is the DCTX-959 because the bare wires are easy to deal with. Just be careful. For Negative voltage power supply, I used the DC-32. Cut off the AC pins to make it breadboard-friendly and follow it's schematic. You'll need the specified capacitors and resistors. Connect the -19V to VLCD and -26 to VEE. (The datasheet says VEE should be -22V, but it works fine from -26V)

For backlight, there are two white wires on the side. These except ~100VAC for powering the EL backlight.
I used the INV-9 receiving 9V from the adapter. Get the specified connector CON-230P for easy connection."

View Profile

Here is the pin information:

* Pin.png (193.73 KB, 1846x2164 - viewed 35 times.)

View Profile

I found the CON-230P (http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CON-230P/2-CONDUCTOR-CONNECTOR-MALE//1.html) but not the DCTX-959, DC-32 or INV-9.

Do you have links to those?

View Profile

Sorry, but no, and to make things clearer that information that I posted was found in the Product Comments for the LCD.

View Profile

I also believe that this LCD does not have an onboard controller.

View Profile

This may help, its someones comments on the allelectronics website:

Fired this baby right up with a simple PIC chip and an evening of code adapting! If you know what you are doing, this is a very nice display and for the price, it is a steal! Sorry I don't have the time to show any code, just try using the spec sheet and mess around, it is as easy a LCD as any (only thing that might confuse you is the fact that there is a top and bottom that are written to back and forth.) Just go ahead and try it, you aint gonna hurt it, yo!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:05:17 pm by Carnyworld » Logged

View Profile

I am still in desperate need of any help.

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I am too distracted to even read your post much less to attempt to answer your question.

Don

View Profile

3...2...1...GO!

PINOUT
1 Vdd
2 FG
3 CPX (Clock for shifting display data to column driver LSI)
4 N.C.
5 FRM (Frame start)
6 LOAD (Latch pulses)
7 Vss
8 N.C.
9 D0U \
10 D1U \ Data for upper screen
11 D2U /
12 D3U /
13 Vee (-22v)
14 Vlcd (-12~-21v LCD drive voltage)
15 Vss
16 D0L \
17 D1L \ Data for lower screen
18 D2L /
19 D3L /
20 Vss

INFO
No controller
I have a duemilanove

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW
How do I hook this up.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

This is essentially a controller-less LCD panel, which means you sort of have to treat it like a parallel version of an video monitor, sending it each frame worth of data, over an over again, all the time.  Actually, it's like two displays, since you have to provide data for the upper and lower halves of the display at the same time.  This is a significant challenge, especially if you want it to update the display at a reasonable frame rate.

I have one of these, though I've never done any work with it yet.  The display is cheap enough to make it a good candidate for learning how LCD displays work (this sort of interface is very common), and I've always intended to see whether you can do anything useful with it from a microcontroller, if you're willing to violate specs.  ("let's see, if I only want to use the top half (640x200) of the display, and I don't care if the refresh is really slow, then...")

Not a beginner project, though.

View Profile

What if I want to use both halves and use it as a Ebook Reader. Then it could be slow but at the same time be able to read txt files. An I would also want to have a way of scrolling like button pad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: