Go Down

Topic: Tiny85 breakout board...Will it hurt to leave a resonator in the circuit? (Read 977 times) previous topic - next topic

Mr. Swarf

I've got a nice little breakout board that gives me an ISP header and pins that plug into a bread board. The thing has the component location for and included a 16MHz resonator. Since most of the Tiny85s I tinker with have no need for an external resonator I have not yet soldered the resonator into the breakout board.

If I were to go ahead and solder the resonator to the board will this cause me problems if I do not set fuses for an external oscillator and upload hex files compiled to use the internal oscillator?

Thanks.
M.S.

Coding Badly

No.  I often have a setup where I switch between the internal oscillator and an external crystal.  I have only encountered one problem: if the fuses are set to use an external crystal or oscillator then the external component has to be present to change the fuses.

But, I have not tried to use the external crystal pins as I/O pins with a crystal connected.  That may cause problems.

Mr. Swarf

Excellent. That is what I suspected. The board is very tightly packed. I did not want to solder the resonator in only to find an issue. Clean removal of the resonator would not be easy.

This board makes a super easy way to program these Tinys without the hassles of a breadboard and a mess of wires.
M.S.

Coding Badly

Is the breakout board something you made or something you bought?

Mr. Swarf

I was going to make one and have Dorkbot make the PCBs for me. I then found these:

http://allgaiershops.com/index.php?cPath=22

At $2.99 each I could not make them myself. Includes everything but the MCU. I bought one each of their breadboard adapters (Tiny25, Tiny2313, Tiny84, Tiny/Mega 48/88 etc). With shipping they were less than $4 each to my door.

Assembly was simple. The boards are well made. Complete parts etc.

I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.
M.S.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy