Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Basic suggestions for IDE usability improvements  (Read 3152 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My laptop doesn't have a middle button.
I just use CTRL-C & CTRL-V to copy  & paste. Haven't gotten used to right-click this & right-click that.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Oh - and my calendar doesn't 7s, and my phone doesn't have a 5 ...
(Thanks Steven Wright!)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Freediving, spearfishing, alt energy, motion control, christian
View Profile

I'd like the "Done Uploading" notice to disappear once I start editing again because I often lose track of whether the code changes I've just made are uploaded or not.

Could we have an option (maybe a tick box on the tool bar) that would automatically open the Serial Monitor after an upload.  Many projects deliver serial feedback so this would be a 'upload and get on with it option' rather than upload, wait, then open Serial Monitor.

When 'Auto Format'  scrolls the current cursor position to the top of the screen I often lose my place.  Could it stay still please?

I hope these are acceptable

Many thanks for all you've done, are doing and will do!

Gilbert, AZ (U.S.A.)
View Profile

I'd like to see the Serial Monitor send "traffic" directly to a file on the host computer.

When you have large amounts of data coming from the Arduino, cut & paste can be a real PAIN when you're trying to find the one character clues in the datastream.

The option to "prefix" data going to the Arduino with, say, "<", and that coming from Arduino with, say, ">" would also be nice, but this is much less important than saving all the data to a file.

Gilbert, AZ (U.S.A.)
View Profile

Another, separate comment on the IDE:  Using it is certainly a "retro" experience.  I've been using various debugging tools for well over 40 years, and this one is certainly a thowback to the capabilities we saw in the 1970s:  wanna find out what's happening in your program?  Just throw in a few more "printf()" calls (or whatever the syntax for the language you're using).

More modern IDEs include the capability to set breakpoints, run from start to the first breakpoint encountered, run from the current breakpoint to the next breakpoint, "single step" through a program (or, if you prefer, "sketch"), examine the contents of variables (and let the user specify variables to display at every breakpoint), and even modify those contents.

Although "debugging by printf()" is still a viable method in some instances, using breakpoints can be much quicker, and, in my not-so-humble opinion (based on more than 40 years of programming experience), it can be a good learning tool for the beginner to be able to "watch" his/her code execute.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

More modern IDEs include the capability to set breakpoints, run from start to the first breakpoint encountered, run from the current breakpoint to the next breakpoint, "single step" through a program (or, if you prefer, "sketch"), examine the contents of variables (and let the user specify variables to display at every breakpoint), and even modify those contents.
Well, that all works great for debugging a program running on the same machine as the debugger. In the case of the Arduino, the code is NOT running on the PC, and there is no debugger for the Arduino. No keyboard (or output device), either.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

there is no debugger for the Arduino.
The AVR lacks some of the "standard" debugging capabilities of many CPUs (ie "single step mode"), and Atmel doesn't document the debugging protocols that the chip does support.  :-(

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

The AVR lacks some of the "standard" debugging capabilities of many CPUs (ie "single step mode"), and Atmel doesn't document the debugging protocols that the chip does support.  :-(

just found this doc - http://winavr.sourceforge.net/AVR-GDB_and_AVaRICE_Guide.pdf -

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Yes, and it requires the Atmel JTAGICE to talk to AVR chip. :-(
(but it's better than nothing.)

Netherlands
God Member
A naughty mind is a joy forever.
View Profile

Possibility to copy&paste data in the terminal window.

Using hyperterminal or putty instead of the arduino one it's possible to copy/past data. Their connections need to be opened/closed manually every time a small piece of code has changed/needs to be uploaded though.

Arduinos terminal has a great advantage since it automatically closes when uploading. One click also opens it again, it takes good care of the double function of the serial port. But unfortunately it has no copy&paste. :-(

Global Moderator
The Netherlands
don't panic...
View Profile

My laptop doesn't have a middle button.
I just use CTRL-C & CTRL-V to copy  & paste. Haven't gotten used to right-click this & right-click that.

Often it's possible to use those when the right-click menu doesn't come up. It is possible in the serial monitor and in the black part of the ide.

regards,
Jeroen

View Profile

Create HEX y sketch folder?

France
God Member
View Profile

Some successfull retro engennering is on the way for  undocumented debugWire protocol  :
http://ruemohr.org/docs/debugwire.html

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Well, that all works great for debugging a program running on the same machine as the debugger. In the case of the Arduino, the code is NOT running on the PC, and there is no debugger for the Arduino. No keyboard (or output device), either.

Say arduino has a keyboard and a monitor, how would you be able to debug on it at a level higher than assembly? I don't know how arduino can maintain a variable list since its code is compiled and it knows no source code. Just my thinking. I don't know enough about a debugger though.

I used turbo C and TASM in DOS. You get decent debug tools. You can display variable values (don't remember if it tracks changes or not).

Just curious, if you get a hardware debugger like dragon, what do you get to do? Pause execution and peek at every memory and register? I'm thinking about getting one but then my programming skill improved a bit, just enough to not freeze arduino.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: