Go Down

Topic: Privacy policy unreadable (Read 873 times) previous topic - next topic

gregorss

Sep 13, 2018, 06:36 pm Last Edit: Sep 13, 2018, 06:37 pm by gregorss
Hi there!

I strongly suggest your web designers should set the default background color of their web browsers to some non-white color. Otherwise something like

is possible. Do you really expect me to read this?!

Regards,

Gregor
Wenn man keine Probleme hat, kann man sich welche machen („Großes Lötauge", Medizinmann der M3-Hopi)
Nicht lange fackeln, lass' Backen wackeln! (Seeed)

sterretje

I'm happy with the white; yours looks grey (except for the one block). It could have benefitted from a slightly higher contrast though.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Robin2

I don't recall any difficulty when I read it earlier today.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

gregorss

I don't recall any difficulty when I read it earlier today.

...R
I guess the background color of your browser is set to white or some other color that differs good enough from the text color of the privacy policy.

Regards,

Gregor
Wenn man keine Probleme hat, kann man sich welche machen („Großes Lötauge", Medizinmann der M3-Hopi)

ballscrewbob

Sep 14, 2018, 05:30 am Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 05:33 am by ballscrewbob
Perfect here too.
Maybe you have a browser add in thats not playing nice.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

gregorss

Sep 14, 2018, 06:24 am Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 06:24 am by gregorss
Maybe you have a browser add in thats not playing nice.
I don't think so. This is https://www.arduino.cc/ if I change the background color of my browser to green:

Regards,

Gregor

ballscrewbob

And there you have it !

Your changing the colours to something that is non standard on the site (or any site) can make things look terrible.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

gregorss

Sep 14, 2018, 02:08 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 02:09 pm by gregorss
And there you have it !
Your changing the colours to something that is non standard on the site (or any site) can make things look terrible.
There is no standard for the background color of a web browser window. If someone wants his/her page to use a certain background color one can (should!) define that in the body tag of that page (or CSS or ...).

Regards,

Gregor

ballscrewbob

Sep 14, 2018, 02:28 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 02:29 pm by ballscrewbob
Yes people can change things (often for vision impairments) by injecting into the style sheets and such.

Point being "you" changed the colours then said they were horrible ;) LOL

I have a hell of a time with white on white myself but if I am sad I do blue on blue. :)

gregorss

Point being "you" changed the colours then said they were horrible ;) LOL
Well, yes, if I change the color to some horrible color it looks awful. Point being (as said before): If a programmer wants a page to have a certain background color it is the programmers job to take care of that.

Regards,

Gregor

Robin2

If a programmer wants a page to have a certain background color it is the programmers job to take care of that.
Isn't it reasonable for a programmer to assume the user has a sensible default background colour?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

sterretje

Sep 14, 2018, 03:40 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 03:41 pm by sterretje
Programmers should not assume :D

Anyway, isn't the whole purpose of a browser allowing the user to change the colour to allow the user to override the colour scheme of the html/css of the page?
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

gregorss

Sep 14, 2018, 04:00 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 04:01 pm by gregorss
Isn't it reasonable for a programmer to assume the user has a sensible default background colour?
No.

The viewer/user decides what background color suites him/her. The same goes with fonts/sizes etc.

Just because 99 out of 100 users use white as their favourite background, a programmer should never assume the 100th user's background is set to white, too.

At least that is what I always have in mind when it comes to dynamic design.

Regards

Gregor

Robin2

Just because 99 out of 100 users use white as their favourite background, a programmer should never assume the 100th user's background is set to white, too.
Isn't the logical conclusion from that that the Programmer should impose a white background - thereby frustrating the choice of the 100th user?

Sounds like Catch-22 to me.

...R

gregorss

Sep 14, 2018, 04:28 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 04:37 pm by gregorss
Isn't the logical conclusion from that that the Programmer should impose a white background - thereby frustrating the choice of the 100th user?
In case of the privacy policy the only right decision is to explicitly set the background color to white. Well, the privacy policy could be plain text but that would mean that the „programmer" has to know some kind of „ASCII-Art".

Regards,

Gregor

BTW: What does „catch-22" mean? Is that an idiom like „right as rain"?

Go Up