Go Down

Topic: Is there a way to measure the torque of a Stepper motor (Read 190 times) previous topic - next topic

rockwellramesha

Hi All -

Wondering if there is a way to measure the torque of a Stepper motor, I'm working on a application, where it is critical to measure the torque and control the end product output based on the torque.

Any insights into this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Best
Not all are born "GENIUS", hence I'm looking for support in this FORUM

Paul_KD7HB

First is to have a program that can step the motor. Do you have such a program?

Paul

Robin2

Wondering if there is a way to measure the torque of a Stepper motor, I'm working on a application, where it is critical to measure the torque and control the end product output based on the torque.
I infer from that that your purpose for measuring the torque is so that you can control the torque. It is not practical to control the torque of a stepper motor while it is operating. The torque is determined by the limiting current permitted by the stepper motor driver and I am not aware of any driver that allows that to be controlled by an Arduino. It is usually set manually with a potentiometer or DIP switches.

The better stepper motor manufacturers publish graphs that show the torque at different speeds and currents.

And, even if you could reduce the torque the effect would be to cause the motor to miss steps which would completely nullify the value of a stepper motor.

If you have an application where torque-control is important then a regular DC motor will almost certainly be more suitable.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

rockwellramesha

MarkT

Hi All -

Any insights into this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Best
Which torque? dynamic torque? holding torque?

Perhaps you mean measure the load torque at a particular moment?  That requires a torquemeter on
a rotating shaft, not easy.

You can't measure torque electrically with a stepper.  A DC motor is much more amenable to this.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

rockwellramesha

Paul_KD7HB

Google for "motor torque sensor" and look at the images. There are many, many sensors you can use.

Paul

Go Up