Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to make headers work with single layer copper pcb?  (Read 527 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I made a line following robot shield (its in the project forum) and while I was making it I had an extremely difficult time soldering on the pin headers that go into the arduino. I decided to scrap the headers and use a thicker wire to do it. The problem is that the top on the pcb has the parts on it , the bottom has the copper and the parts soldered on it, now if you think about it , you can't put on headers because you have nowhere to solder them to.

Anyone have any ways they get around this problem?

God Member
View Profile

http://imgur.com/a/s5BXR#rNK9v

Does that help? You need to use some force to squeeze the pins in.

If they are female headers, then you need to yank out every single pin from the plastic housing first, solder them, then place the plastic housing over them, this is way more frustrating
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:00:53 am by frank26080115 » Logged

Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Do you have a pic 'dude?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

http://imgur.com/a/s5BXR#rNK9v

Does that help? You need to use some force to squeeze the pins in.

If they are female headers, then you need to yank out every single pin from the plastic housing first, solder them, then place the plastic housing over them, this is way more frustrating

Actually that's  great idea... Hmmm i dont know why I never thought of it. Thanks!

Faraday Member
View Profile

Trick 1:  use longer than usual headers, put 'em in from the back side.  If they're not quite long enough, press down on the plastic part so that there is none of the pin left sticking out the bottom, then solder.

Trick 2: solder them in upside down, with the plastic up in the air.  When finished soldering, shove the plastic down to the board.

Trick 3:  put the headers on the back side of the board.  If you use right angle headers, it doesn't really mess up the mounting and aesthetics (a term that doesn't really apply to my own home-etched boards) too much.

Trick 4: put the pads for the headers on the edge of the board, and use straight headers for a horizontal mount, or right-angle (RA) headers for a vertical mount. (bonus: no hole drilling required!)

The easiest way to do it, though, is to use SMT headers, like KE7GKP mentions.  They take up more board real estate, but you don't have to drill holes which makes the PCB fabrication a lot easier, IMO.

In a pinch, RA headers can be used as SMT headers.  They need extra room, or trimming, though.

-j

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: