Go Down

Topic: Tank - need high current motor drivers (Read 128 times) previous topic - next topic

camkadev

Sep 17, 2018, 04:56 pm Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 05:27 pm by camkadev
Hello everyone

I'm engaged in the development of a tank that is controlled via smartphone, on board of the tank is Raspberry Pi 3.

The first implementation of engine management was realized through the motor controller L298N but after a few minutes it becomes hot so much that you pull the hand out and also it has large dimensions.

Also tried to use VNH2SP30 that bought at AliExpress, but here also problem, 4 of 5 items is not working properly, one of them is burnt out and 3 of them not fully open reverse channel to control motor.
Googled around internet and folks told that chips ordered from China have high percent of defects.

My current implementation:
- Adafruit PCA9865 connected to Raspberry via I2C;
- VNH2SP30 connected to PWM pins of PCA9865;

Power source: 2x3.7 volts 5100 mAh (4 amps each) connected in parallel, total = 7.4 volts

The current of engines at the stop in the obstacle: 1.8 - 2 amps, need up to 3 amps.
On the board of tank 5 motors:
- 2 high current, chassis motors;
- 1 tower left/right;
- 1 weapon up/down;
- 1 weapon shoot;
all motors is collector motors.

my tank

What I want:
Help me to build a custom motor driver on N-channel MOSFETs

Found this topic, but can't understand how to drive motor into reverse

P.S. I'm a programmer, not an electronics engineer

AWOL

Can't you use RC brushed motor ESCs?
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Robin2

If you don't want to buy a motor driver board that can provide the required current (see the Pololu website for examples) then you may wish to consider using Infineon TLE 5206 h-bridge chips. They are easy to use (much easier than building a circuit from Mosfets), can handle 5 amps and have overload protection. Just a suggestion.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

camkadev

Sep 17, 2018, 09:51 pm Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 09:58 pm by camkadev
Can't you use RC brushed motor ESCs?
no, this is not my way, because there is radio network integrated board, i don't know how to connect there and what kind of signals to send, this is not my way.

If you don't want to buy a motor driver board that can provide the required current (see the Pololu website for examples) then you may wish to consider using Infineon TLE 5206 h-bridge chips. They are easy to use (much easier than building a circuit from Mosfets), can handle 5 amps and have overload protection. Just a suggestion.

...R
ok thank you, will look at that
Pololu have expensive price for their boards, so I'm looking for an alternative

camkadev

here is original tank board

I wonder how the Chinese did everything in the same board on the mosfets

Go Up