Go Down

Topic: Whistle detection (Read 3481 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a robotic project, and I'd like my robot to detect when I whistle. But I'm not that good in electronics... :( Do you know how I can do that? I thought of amplifying the sound with an amplificator and then look for the frequency using the arduino. But is ths possible?
Maybe I should use a frequency-voltage converter? But I want the electronic to be as simple as possible...
Thanks a lot for your help! :)

(Remember I'm a noob :D)

A simple way to do it is with a small microphone and amplifier circuit, like the one on our Gadget Shield or a stand-alone module like this one.

The question is are you just looking for a sound/no-sound decision or are you actually trying to measure the frequency of the whistle and only want to respond to a certain whistle frequency? Selecting a single frequency is a little bit more work, though there have been some Arduino FFT projects recently that can help with this (searching for "Arduino FFT" will give lots of results).

The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

Big Oil

FYI I tried to hack a small 'lost car-key finder' device that would beep when you whistle, but the thing broke before I could get it to talk to the Arduino. 

Mar 30, 2011, 07:19 pm Last Edit: Mar 30, 2011, 07:21 pm by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
There is a chip that will do the whistle detection for you.
The UM3763 contains a signal amplifier and frequency detector and is housed in a small 8 pin package.

Other chips are here:-

Do you think a LM567 can work?

Regular piezo buzzer is a whistle detector due it extra nonlinear frequency response.
Probably, operational amplifier thats all you need to get sensitivity level .

Do you think a LM567 can work?

Yes that would work.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131