Go Down

Topic: Which Wireless system; sensors, lcd, computer. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

robtillaart

Sounds like wifi is a good candidate. You can contact your PC and your android phone.
wifi shields are not cheapest and the libraries take quite some resources. Are you familiar with network programming?

Have you a complete list of sensors that will be on the Arduino?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

nico765

Are you familiar with network programming?

No, not at all... haven't seen much stuff on wifi-arduino, but loads of questions and queries around the forum...

Any idea on power comsumption of Wifi? My plan is to have the arduino on battery power, 1200mAh, need to last 3-4hrs.

Have you a complete list of sensors that will be on the Arduino?

Not complete yet. I have a gps (ls20031) and a 9DOF-razor (gets me boat angles). I'd start experimenting with those.

tjw7

Regarding power consumption - it relates to how busy the wifi chip will be.

As a point of example, a rig I have with a WiFly with a 3mA battery 100% uptime and a few sensors ... lasts just under 2 days. 
With it in a sleep mode for all but 30 seconds out of 5 minutes, the lifetime extends to weeks.

A link to more links:  http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,56724.0.html

Not certain if this fits your specific project needs directly though.  Are each of your sensors DIRECTLY connected to the Arduino, or are they remote from the Arduino?  Is your display separate from the sensor/data collection unit?

nico765

Regarding power consumption - it relates to how busy the wifi chip will be.
As a point of example, a rig I have with a WiFly with a 3mA battery 100% uptime and a few sensors ... lasts just under 2 days. 
With it in a sleep mode for all but 30 seconds out of 5 minutes, the lifetime extends to weeks.

You meant a 3A battery right? Anyway it seems ok, LCD or GPS will consume more.

Current plan is for 2 sensor-boxes and 2 displays. Sensor-box would only send data, displays only receive it.

sensor-box1 and sensor-box2 which broadcast their data, sensor-box1 is currently a gps+9DOF+arduino+sdlogger, sensor-box2 is coming but not sure yet what it'll have. Both boxes will be fixed on the boat and battery powered.

display1 and display2 are portable; display1 will be a LCD+arduino+buttons (or 1'' 7d LEDS,x8 with a max7219), display2 is a computer (android mobile or pc). 

Thanks again for the help and comments.

Go Up