Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: smallest atmel uC with spi and serial?  (Read 982 times)
Houston
Electronics is just part of life.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i need a really small one, preferably like 8 pins... but ive looked around alot and i haven't found any... does anyone know what the smallest is?

i dont care about memory or any other pins, all i need to use is the miso mosi sck another pin for ss and tx and rx, please help =)

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Generally, as they get smaller the serial port disappears.  What baud rate(s) do you plan to use?

"The old Europe"
Edison Member
Bootloaders suck!
View Profile

If you need 'real' SPI (not USI) and a 'real' uart in a smal package, I fear you won't find anything in DIP-8.The smallest ATtiny with a real uart is the 2313/4313. I find using the TQFP-32 ones (e.g. atmega168-au...) very easy to solder.

• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

Houston
View Profile

well im making an mp3 player, but with other features... i wont have enough pins on one arduino so im using two, i didnt want to use two but i have to... is it possible to send songs like from an sd card to an arduino to another arduino through tx and rx?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Why not use a part with more pins instead then? Like ATMega644PA in 44 pin TQFP package?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATMEGA644P-20AU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtmW1oUCKTs6oeRoRYfIZTG
data sheet summary http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/8011S.pdf

Plenty of IO that way, 2 Serial ports if needed, more flash/Ram memory for processing.
12mm square package, 0.8mm spacing on the pins.
Build it up,  jumper it over to a duemilanove to bootload it via the FTDI chip BIT BANG  method, will need to do a little research for the fuse setting.
The add pins for the ICSP header- which are the 3 SPI pins you listed + power, ground, reset.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:58:01 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

An Arduino cant decode mp3...

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Maybe he is wiring it up to one of these
http://www.roguerobotics.com/products/electronics/rmp3
and wants the extra IO for buttons, screen, etc.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

He is reading mp3's from an sd card with the atmegas so I dont think so.

Houston
View Profile

im not... heres what im doing... im using an atmega644p for the main board... its using the sanguino bootloader to interact with the arduino firmware, from there i have hooked up 8 buttons connected to a piso shift register and that to the 644p, i also have a 5 pin monochrome lcd screen hooked up to the 644, i wanted to have a way to read files from an sd card, be able to display the names on the screen and also play them, i bought the sd card breakout board from cutedigi.com

http://www.cutedigi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4435&osCsid=c21092b55ad5435c2977d2a70293fe28

and a vs1003 mp3 decoder breakout board from cutedigi.com

http://www.cutedigi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4343&osCsid=c21092b55ad5435c2977d2a70293fe28

and i figured out that im going to need more than one set of spi pins so i decided to add another arduino, i was thinking of reading the sd card data with one, sending the undecoded data to the 644p via serial and from that have the mp3 decoder hooked up and send the raw data to the vs1003 to be decoded and played

so i wanna know:

• if you can send raw data like that using serial
  • if you can read files with unknown names from the sd card using the arduino library
  • how to work with the vs1003
  • if there is an easier way to do this =)

i appreciate the help and the concern guys! thanks  smiley

edit: oh and thanks for suggesting rogue robotics board, but i had seen it before and its a bit too big and too expensive for this project
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:59:39 pm by Leonidas » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

The way SPI works is that all devices share the SCK, MISO, MOSI pins, and you give each one its own SS pin that you drive LOW to enable comm's with a device & then bring back high when done.  I don't think you  need 2 device.
You will send data to the vs1003 at something like 32Kbytes/seconds (128k*2/8) (128K sampled MP3s, dual stereo, 8 bits/byte), which is well within the SPI data capability, and the display is updated at a comparatively rare rate compared to the sound.

So you'll read a block of bytes from the SD and spit them out to the vs1003.

Search the forum, see if anyone has used it yet.  I thought about it last summer, decided it was gonna need  more coding than  I was capable of at the time.

Houston
View Profile

hah great!! =) thanks both of you guys, i guess this is going to be alot easier than i expected! and the sd card question was to read unkown file names, as in search through the sd card, pick the next available file and read it in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: