Go Down

Topic: Multiple sensor reading and multiple output (without I2C, SPI, ecc) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

luther

In my new project I'm trying to get data from 10 different temperature sensors.

To do this job I would like to use just 1 analog in pin. I know that for this task I could use I2C or SPI protocol, but this is not my goal.

I was wondering if there is some kind of chip that acts like a switch, the hypothetical chip should have one output (connected to analog in pin) and the rest of the pins are connected to sensors reading their respective values (volts/current). A clock connected to the chip will cycle and activated each input pin (connected to the sensors) so da data is a passed to the analog in pin of the controller.

Is there a chip that can do this? If yes, where can I find? Otherwise please suggest a solution.
Is there any kind of solution for the inverse process, with just one pin out(analog or PWM) , control 10 leds or servos?

Thanks

dc42

Yes, a 74HC4067 chip will do that. You need to connect 4 Arduino digital output pins to it (as well as the analog input pin), to tell it which of its 16 inputs to select.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Erdin

Or you could use the DS18B20 temperature sensor.
You need a single digital pin of the Arduino, one resistor of 4k7 and 10 of those sensors for less than 1 dollar per sensor. Search Ebay for "10pcs ds18b20".

The OneWire library is needed, an example for the DS18B20 is included, http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/OneWire

The length of the cable is limited, I don't know at what distance the temperature sensors are.

It might not be your goal, but you won't get higher accuracy with analog sensors and a multiplexer and a analog input of the Arduino.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy