Go Down

Topic: easier implementation of images when posting (Read 909 times) previous topic - next topic

Bringamosa

When using a phpBB forum it's easier to post a picture in you topic or reply.  When clicking on the "add picture" icon you can insert a link or a just file. If you choose for a file it will automaticaly attach the picture to the post.

I see so many posts where the pictures are attached but not showing.

So for one it will be easier for posters, and second, easier for readers

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Bringamosa

Robin2, I know how to do it, I have seen the guide, still it's a clumsy way. First attach, then figure out the link, then put it in the tags or use the insert image icon.

On top of that it is even more troublesome for people that are not using a pc or laptop. I use the forum mostly on my tablet. So the insert image icon is not even visible then. I have to tick the "show desktop version" to get it shown. Then when I post it my session is expired, hallways, everyone. So instead of posting I have to copy my message, go back to the mobile version of the webpage and then paste everything.

But, still, even on desktop, it's not much to do but a a hastle. It truly is the reason why a lot of newbies fail to post their pictures in the first place. And usually by the time they get the attachment, the find out it's not posted visible along with the question. 

So once again, I know it is not difficult, I know it is only one little extra thing you need to do,  it is still annoying;)

Robin2

Robin2, I know how to do it, I have seen the guide, still it's a clumsy way.
I agree.

But there are lots of shortcomings with the Forum Software and none of the Forum developers seems to read this section (or any other section) of the Forum.

You are so far back in the queue of dissatisfied users that you must be standing outside in the rain :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Pet peeve alert !

I too hate the clumsy method we are forced to use.
Any post that comes up with a simpler method than the current "simple (nah not really) method" has my vote.

Getting it implemented well thats a whole twisted ball game right there.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

It also leads to more people embedding off-site images. This is problematic because they are more likely to break over time, which will cause old threads to be a less useful resource.

Bringamosa

Oct 04, 2018, 12:57 am Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 01:02 am by Bringamosa
"Getting it implemented well thats a whole twisted ball game right there."

Somebody must be able to write some code that whenever you upload a picture you get a message asking you if you want to use it in your post?

It also leads to more people embedding off-site images. This is problematic because they are more likely to break over time, which will cause old threads to be a less useful resource.

True that this is problematic. I have had some pictures posted that I had hosted on my webspace. When cleaning up they got deleted since I did not realise they were being used on the forum.

Had to look up the    Pet peeve alert !   There.
Wiki:
A pet peeve, pet aversion or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly irritating to them, to a greater degree than would be expected based on the experience of others.

To be honest I don't think it's particularly irritating to me compared to others.  Id's toy see how many serious replies are asking people to embed the pictures.....

ballscrewbob

I only have really two pet peeve's in here.

The other being the amount of people that don't bother to read stickies before sometimes posting inane questions without any detail.

As for writing code to fix it.
Well there is the major stumbling block that Arduino is working within the confines of a quite old type of program and just adding things like code might not be as simple as just dropping in a subroutine.

Then there is the lack of people issue to do said coding.
The Arduino environment as a whole is like a moving cars in continuous roadworks constantly having to make course and speed corrections to keep up with the flow of traffic to get to multiple destinations whilst having to direct the traffic too ! 
Where best to put limited resources to get everything to its final destination on time ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Somebody must be able to write some code that whenever you upload a picture you get a message asking you if you want to use it in your post?
I have said before that some of the problems with this Forum seem to be due to the fact that the Arduino folks could not leave a good thing alone and by tinkering have created something that can't easily be upgraded when a new version of the underlying forum software comes along.

More tinkering will just make that worse.

The fact that the Arduino folks never participate in this Forum makes it impossible for us customers to have a useful exchange of views with them.

...R

ChrisTenone

The fact that the Arduino folks never participate in this Forum makes it impossible for us customers to have a useful exchange of views with them.

...R
So ... this section exists just so we have a place to bitch about it? No wonder I (almost) never visit this part of the forum.
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

Robin2

So ... this section exists just so we have a place to bitch about it?
I reckon you have nailed it ...

However I keep hoping ...

...R

Go Up