Go Down

Topic: Creating good schematic/circuit diagrams (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Oct 07, 2018, 07:04 pm Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018, 07:15 pm by lastchancename
While a lot of this is beyond entry level developers, the principles are sound, and will help beginners understand how & why a good circuit schematic is so important during development and debugging / repait - and much more use than a Fritzy diagram or scribble.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1129-creating-a-nice-readable-schematic/

This llink uses Eagle and Altium to demonstrate the methods and principles, but simple drawings can be achieved with paper & pen, or other basic tools - Visio etc, but won't have the benefits available with a dedicated design suite.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

tkbyd

Eagle has been popular for many years, with good reason. But if you start with Eagle, and eventually want to "go further", i.e. past a certain "beginner's level", then you have to start paying.

KiCad, on the other hand, is free forever. And has the same benefits as discussed above in the recommendation of Eagle and Altium (of which I know nothing, good or bad.)

http://kicadhowto.wikidot.com/

larryd

Feb 13, 2019, 08:12 pm Last Edit: Feb 26, 2019, 10:46 pm by larryd
Newcomers, should review Sparkfun's schematic reading also.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-read-a-schematic   

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Robin2

IMHO a photo of a simple hand drawn diagram (or something put together with a drawing program) can be very informative with little or know learning curve.

I did this with Open Office Draw but it should be obvious that something very similar could easily be done with a pencil and paper.

It is taken from my Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

A newbie may also find this Simple Image Upload Guide useful.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

bkucenski

Feb 15, 2019, 08:47 pm Last Edit: Feb 15, 2019, 09:41 pm by bkucenski
KiCad is terrible as it separates the components from their footprint which just creates unnecessary work if you intend to create PCBs.  It also lacks a simple preview of the footprints when you're picking them for parts which is just amazingly bad design.  If you need to move parts around after wiring them up, the wires don't move with the parts so you have to manual rewire everything.  Mind-blowing stupid design.

Just awful.  Especially for beginners.

Eagle is free for hobby use and the size limit of the free version is within the size limit of the $2 for 10 deal for JLCPCB and others with low cost options.  You can also find plenty of component libraries for free on the internet and it's trivial to turn the schematics into PCBs.  Components already have the footprint attached and when picking parts it previews both the schematic image and the footprint so you know exactly what you're selecting.  

When just starting out, stick to simple designs with a handful of parts.  Think of a schematic as a class in a program.  Use standard connectors to connect multiple boards together if your project exceeds the size limitations.  Chances are, your boards will be reused in different projects.  For example, I have about a dozen boards I've designed that get mixed and matched depending on the project.  If I had designed monolithic boards I'd constantly be ordering custom boards.  I have an LED matrix board that can be used as an LED matrix, or, it can be combined with the power driver board to drive higher powered lights or other devices.  The LED matrix would then be wired into the inputs of the driver board to trigger 12V devices instead of just lighting up LEDs directly.

If you intend to go pro and create very complex designs, the $100 per year for Eagle is a bargain.

Go Up