Go Down

Topic: Independent horizontal wheel dampening. (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic

Graylord

I have a 4 wheeled omni-directional robot, it worked perfectly as long as the base the wheels were attached to was simple and flexible, but as the robot has gotten heavier and stiffer, the wheels are starting to occasionally not reach the floor.

So now I need to reconsider how I mount the wheels to the robot. But I suck at engineering, would like your input on how to put it together,

I have a bunch of these dampeners which I am considering using:

Here you can also see the sort wheels I am using. Due to the gap of metal between each roller. The dampening needs to be entirely horizontal, and cannot be angled.

I found this example, but I can't see how I would build something like that with what I have, and it doesn't seem to make sense construction wise (it's just plonked straitght onto the dampeners?), how do you suggest I make sure the wheels can only go up and down smoothly in my case? Do you have any examples of "hydraulic buffers" I could get a hold of for my scale of construction, or are they perhaps unec

The dampeners are 1cm thick. I'm thinking of somehow (which means I am not sure how) attaching tubes that are 1cm inner diameter big to the body of the robot and the top of the dampeners that cover the dampener. This should in theory create a 1 directional channel, right?.
Then attach the bottom to the motors and somehow lock the angle in place (they currently have bearings that rotate, but I could just glue them or something, unless you have better ideas).

Or perhaps you have entirely better and simpler ways of building the whole thing?

PaulS

but as the robot has gotten heavier and stiffer, the wheels are starting to occasionally not reach the floor.
Adding weight makes the wheels move up? How is that possible?

How does making the chassis stiffer cause the wheels to move UP?

I have a bunch of these dampeners
These dampeners? A part number would be useful, or a picture of JUST a dampener.

Though I can not imagine how using a dampener is going to solve your problem.

how do you suggest I make sure the wheels can only go up and down smoothly in my case?
I suggest that you should crawl under a real car, and take a look about. You'll see that such a concern is NOT part of a real car. So, why is it part of your robot's construction?
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up