Go Down

Topic: Controlling motor with limit switch inside if statements (Read 83 times) previous topic - next topic

hales333

Hi,

I am currently trying to code for a linear actuator that retracts when a button is pressed, I then want it to wait, and a motor to turn on until a limit switch is hit, once that limit switch is hit, the motor will stop and the actuator will return to its normal position.  I can get the actuator and motor to move separately using an h bridge, however, am unable for this to work in the order that I want. Attached is my code

#define button 2
#define pull 5
#define push 6
#define power_up 9
#define power_down 8
#define LimR 4

int buttonstate;
int limitR;
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(button, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(pull, OUTPUT);
pinMode(push,OUTPUT);
pinMode(power_up, OUTPUT);
pinMode(power_down,OUTPUT);
pinMode(LimR, INPUT_PULLUP);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
buttonstate = digitalRead(button);
limitR = digitalRead(LimR);
//Serial.println(buttonstate);
delay(200);

if (buttonstate == LOW)
{
  Serial.println("ON");
 digitalWrite(push,LOW);
    digitalWrite(pull,HIGH);
    delay(2000);
    //digitalWrite(push,HIGH);
    //digitalWrite(pull,LOW);
    if (limitR == 1)
    {
      digitalWrite(push,HIGH);
      digitalWrite(pull,LOW);
      digitalWrite(power_up,LOW);
      digitalWrite(power_down,LOW);
      delay(100);
      digitalWrite(push,LOW);
      digitalWrite(pull,LOW);
    }

if (limitR == 0)
    {
      digitalWrite(power_up,HIGH);
      digitalWrite(power_down,LOW);
    }
}

}

vaj4088

Did you forget to use an INPUT_PULLUP pinMode(...) for LimR ?

Did you forget to use code tags and the autoformat function of the Arduino IDE before posting your code ?

ChrisTenone

That's a common symptom of using delay() in a program with two or more independent processes. You need to use two separate timing parts of your loop(). Do these using millis() comparison, and not delay().

@vaj4088, I think the OP may have been distracted from posting code correctly by that guy standing behind her.
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

Robin2

The functions delay() and delayMicroseconds() block the Arduino until they complete.
Have a look at how millis() is used to manage timing without blocking in Several Things at a Time.

And see Using millis() for timing. A beginners guide if you need more explanation.

...R

PS ... To make it easy for people to help you please modify your post and use the code button </>
Code: [Select]
so your code looks like this and is easy to copy to a text editor. See How to use the Forum
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up