Go Down

Topic: Programming Signal Analyzer/ Oscilloscope (Read 122 times) previous topic - next topic

BLACKAVID

Oct 12, 2018, 01:25 pm Last Edit: Oct 12, 2018, 06:47 pm by BLACKAVID
--> German Thread: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=573174.msg3904018#msg3904018

Hey ho folks!
I'm completely new to Arduino and I could need help in programming an "Oscilloscopy-thing"

OK first: I'm electrical engineer and have no big programming skills, so I won't be able to write it on my own (I wouldn't ask for it).
I'm building a analog synthesizer right now and wanted to give a small "cherry" on top by adding kinda like an oscilloscope to it.

But nothing of the internets programm codes fits to the purpose.
To explain my problem:
I wanted to visualize the signal of the main output as a gimmick to the build. That means to show the scratched triangle, square, saw waves to have a imagination to the signals.
That means that the shown signal MUST be the same level and the same frequency (getting normalized) all the time when I'm playing the different notes. I don't know if this is possible to do without further hardware. I don't need to see any frequencies so the time-area is enough for that small purpose.

Another cool thing would be to have a start screen where it displays some seconds the name of the synth and then starting the signal analyzer.

I got a code that I found somewhere deep on the internet, but I can't find it again to write the developer. Maybe some of you geeky professionals (or semis :D) could rewrite/ improve the code to my needs. I would be so glad to show this on other community boards (rights to the developer).

As a refer I posting this link to a Dreadbox Medusa Synth. You can see that the screen on the right sometimes shows of the signal, no matter which note you're playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVF9_Mnes-o

Code: [Select]
#define FILENAME "TFTGraph3"
#include <TFT.h>  // Arduino LCD library
#include <SPI.h>

// pin definition for the Uno
#define cs   10
#define dc   9
#define rst  8
#define quiet false

TFT TFTscreen = TFT(cs, dc, rst);
byte h = TFTscreen.height();
byte w = TFTscreen.width();
byte b[160];
boolean f = false;
int dt; // microseconds

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println(FILENAME);
  Serial.println(w);
  Serial.println(h);
  ADCSRA = 132;   // set prescale to 16, see http://www.microsmart.co.za/technical/2014/03/01/advanced-arduino-adc/
  // initialize the display
  TFTscreen.begin();
  for (int i = 0; i < w; i++) b[i] = -1; // avoid erasing on the first go
  // clear the screen with a pretty color
  clearScreen();
}

//==========================================================================00

void loop() {
  int a[160]; // "double buffering"
  const byte sensorPin = A0;
  long t1, t2;
  t1 = micros();
  // sampling:
  for (int i = 1; i < w-1; i++) {
    a[i] = analogRead(sensorPin);
    // delay if desired
  }
  t2 = micros();
  dt = t2 - t1;
  Serial.println(dt);
  // displaying:
  if (f) {
      TFTscreen.stroke(0, 0, 0); // erase old
      TFTscreen.point (i, b[i]);
      b[i] = map (a[i], 0, 1023, h-2, 1);
      // zero should be at the bottom, 5 volts at the top
      TFTscreen.stroke(255, 200, 0); // print new
    }
  }
  else {
      TFTscreen.stroke(0, 0, 0); // erase old
      b[i] = map (a[i], 0, 1023, h-2, 1);
      TFTscreen.stroke(255, 200, 0); // print new
    }
  }
  f = !f;
  grid();
  // trigger:
  /* edge triggered: */
  int v1 = analogRead(sensorPin);
  int v2 = analogRead(sensorPin);
  // wait for rising edge:
  while (v2 - v1 < 2) {
    v1 = v2;
    v2 = analogRead(sensorPin);
  }
  // wait for falling edge
  while (v1 - v2 < 2) {
    v1 = v2;
    v2 = analogRead(sensorPin);
  }
  /* alternative use level triggering:
  while (analogRead(sensorPin) > 512);
  while (analogRead(sensorPin) < 512);
  /* */
}

void clearScreen() {
  TFTscreen.background(0, 0, 0);
  TFTscreen.stroke(255, 0, 0);
  TFTscreen.rect(0, 0, w, h);
}

void grid() { // dotted vertical lines
  // display the axes:
  TFTscreen.stroke(255, 0, 0); // red
  // horizontal lines:
  for (int i = 1; i < 5; i++) {
    int b = 6;
    int x = 3;
    while (x < w) {
      TFTscreen.line(x, i*h/5, x + b, i*h/5);
      x = x + 2 * b;
    }
  }
  // vertical  lins:
  long div = 500; // microseconds
  int dx = div * (w - 2) / dt;
  int x = 0;
  while (x < w) {
    int b = 6;
    x = x + dx;
    int y = 2;
    while (y < h)  {
      TFTscreen.line(x, y, x, y + b);
      y = y + 2 * b;
    }
  }  
  // print margins:
  byte h1 = 3*h/5;
  TFTscreen.stroke(0,0,0); // background color
  TFTscreen.fill(0,0,0);
  TFTscreen.rect(w-30,h1-8,29,7);
  /*TFTscreen.stroke(255,255,255); // white
  TFTscreen.text("0",    1, h1-8);
  TFTscreen.text("0.5 ms", w-36, h1-8);
  TFTscreen.text("/div",   w-24, h1+1);  
  TFTscreen.text("0V",   1,  h-8);
  TFTscreen.text("5V",   1,    1);*/  
}

P.S. I will mention the help of the helper in boards :)

Greetings Avid

DVDdoug

That means that the shown signal MUST be the same level and the same frequency (getting normalized) all the time when I'm playing the different notes.
I think I get it....   Real world audio looks like garbage on a 'scope, so you want to fake-it and show a picture of a sine/square wave etc.   Right?

Can you make graphics on the you LCD screen?    ...I can't help you with that, but that's a good place to start...     Make some waveform graphics totally under software control with no input to the microcontroller.   

Then, you need to "tap into" the switches on your synth can connect them to the Arduino so the Arduino can know what kind of waveform you are generating.   So you wouldn't be analyzing the audio, or even reading the audio, just reading the settings on the synthesizer,    Then it should be easy-enough to display the correct waveform.

BLACKAVID

I think I get it....   Real world audio looks like garbage on a 'scope, so you want to fake-it and show a picture of a sine/square wave etc.   Right?

Can you make graphics on the you LCD screen?    ...I can't help you with that, but that's a good place to start...     Make some waveform graphics totally under software control with no input to the microcontroller.   

Then, you need to "tap into" the switches on your synth can connect them to the Arduino so the Arduino can know what kind of waveform you are generating.   So you wouldn't be analyzing the audio, or even reading the audio, just reading the settings on the synthesizer,    Then it should be easy-enough to display the correct waveform.
Naw close to it. I actually want to show the real audio signal. It was just as an example that you're can see "ah it's looking like a scratchy, distorted triangle/ saw / square" ... ( That is all the oscillators can put out). I doesn't need to be super precise but should sketch the signal.

Go Up