Go Down

Topic: Recommend a book (Read 994 times) previous topic - next topic

dougp

I got from the library  C++ for dummies and Problem Solving with C++.
They're OK but so many of the examples are filled with 'cout', etc. that the principle being discussed is sometimes obscured (for me anyway).

Also, some of the subjects are broken up and scattered throughout the chapters - hard to follow.
And, since I have to return them I can't mark them up as I otherwise might.

I know there are a gazillion webpages and YT videos out there but I prefer dead trees.

Anyone got a recommendation for a clearly laid out text?
So two neutrinos went into a bar.  Nothing happened.  They were just passing through.

westfw

It difficult to find a c++ text that isn't "desktop programming" oriented.

dougp

It difficult to find a c++ text that isn't "desktop programming" oriented.

Yes.  I did try out 'Embedded C programming and the Atmel AVR' but there's more hardware focus than I'm interested in right now.
So two neutrinos went into a bar.  Nothing happened.  They were just passing through.

ChrisTenone

My two favorite Arduino books are Beginning C for Arduino by Jack Purdum and Programming Arduino Next Steps by Simon Monk.

There are other very good books, but these pack a lot of usable information, and it's all applicable to Arduino.
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

dougp

There are other very good books, but these pack a lot of usable information, and it's all applicable to Arduino.
Thanks!  I'll check them out.

Robin2

If you are focused on Arduinos then have a look at Arduinos for Dummies. I have only glanced through it in a bookshop but I had Sailing for Dummies years ago and found it really excellent.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

dougp

ChrisTenone

I have Unix for Dummies sitting on my shelf, and it's not really for dummies at all. Very thorough. When my girlfriend started teaching 7th and 8th grade math, she got Middle School for Dummies - indispensable!

I heartedly recommend any of the 'For Dummies' series, they are well organized, and sprinkled with bits of humor that can make even the driest subject (Unix, Junior High, etc.) tolerable.
Atmosphere carries combustion vapors to places where they will do good instead of harm - Mike Faraday's 'History of a Candle': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

Whoops ::)

Robin2

IIRC correctly one of the authors of Sailing for Dummies has an Olympic Bronze medal and the other author was crew (navigator?) on the USA Americas Cup boat.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up