Go Down

Topic: How would you weld these three components together (Read 480 times) previous topic - next topic

Bringamosa

For this particular problem I guess trial and error will work best..... learn by doing, you will figure out what works and what not.

A helping hand is very helpful when soldering.

Marciokoko

Thanks. 

As for the terminology, we do a lot of welding down here in my uncivilized part of the world and I never realized the parts got melted together.  I thought when we welded 2 steel plates together they were joined by the melted rod material, not the combination of the melted rod PLUS part of melted steel plates.  But now that I think about it I guess it makes for a much stronger union if the pieces you're joining are actually melted as well.

Marciokoko

Oct 13, 2018, 11:19 pm Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 11:20 pm by Marciokoko
My tip might have something to do with it but it got this way because I used it in terrible ways.  Here's my tip:

Bringamosa

Lol get a new soldering iron with interchangeable tips. That there is not done. I would not take that to even if you would give me 10$ with it haha

JohnRob

I'm sure if you can weld you can solder :)   But remember the difference, when soldering you want the iron on the joint no more that about 5 seconds.   The goal is to heat locally and remove the heat so as to not damage the parts.

As ugly as your soldering tip is, I would guess if you can tin the tip area with solder then you could make these joints.

John

Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

larryd

Oct 14, 2018, 12:02 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 12:02 am by larryd
My tip might have something to do with it but it got this way because I used it in terrible ways.  Here's my tip:

No, that's a perfectly usable tip.  :smiley-cry:

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Bringamosa

Oct 14, 2018, 12:16 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 12:18 am by Bringamosa
As ugly as your soldering tip is, I would guess if you can tin the tip area with solder then you could make these joints.
Are you serious? The thing is hollow! Yeah sure you can dig a tunnel with a spoon, but it's stupid if better and easier methods are available. Half decent tools are half the job. You don't even need decent tools. But junk won't get you far.
But hey, that's my opinion. Once I had a 10$ iron of witch the tip would not tin at all. I fought against it, tried two projects and saw somebody else work with a 7$ iron with a tip that would tin. Heaven on earth the day I cloud use that thing.

MAS3

You could bend the pins of this header outwards, then solder it to the diode pins.
Bend the small part, and be very careful as these tend to break off while trying to do that.

You can also bend the pin at each side of the diode twice to create an oval like shape.
Then cut the wires where they touch each other, leaving an opening of the same size as the width between the pins of your header.
Solder the wires to the part of the diode wires which are now perpendicular to the diode itself.

Soldering takes practising, so keep doing that.

And use tools for what they are intended to do.
Do not use your soldering iron to cut through plastic stuff, and do not use it to remove insulation from wires.
The tip of the iron will be eaten away by that nasty stuff, you know what that looks like.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Paul__B

Oct 14, 2018, 07:43 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 07:44 am by Paul__B Reason: Always more to say.
I thought when we welded 2 steel plates together they were joined by the melted rod material, not the combination of the melted rod PLUS part of melted steel plates.  But now that I think about it I guess it makes for a much stronger union if the pieces you're joining are actually melted as well.
So, you learned welding by trial and error, were not taught.  :smiley-lol:

Here is a diagram of a butt weld:

The "weld metal" is partly filler, but partly base metal.  Note that the pieces would - of course - have originally been clamped together and touching at the root.

My tip might have something to do with it but it got this way because I used it in terrible ways.
Yes, you have been using it to melt/ weld plastic, haven't you?

JohnRob

Are you serious? The thing is hollow!
Of course a better tip would be desirable and maybe even required, however I don't know what the OP has as their disposal nor do I know the time requirement of this task.   So my statement still stands, if the tip can be tinned one should be able to make these connections.

I've made some descent looking solder joints with ugly tip when that was all I had.

Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

Southpark

Oct 14, 2018, 10:36 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 10:59 am by Southpark
My tip might have something to do with it but it got this way because I used it in terrible ways.  Here's my tip:
Running over the soldering iron with a truck or stomping continually on it will make it hard for you to solder things properly.

Time for a new tip..... get one that doesn't self destructs like that. Get a solid one..... not a hollow one.

Marciokoko

Hahahaha!  Yes I have used it to melt plastic off of parts that I was desperately trying to pry off of a board for some reason.  Anyway, no I didn't mean that I personally weld, I don't believe I've ever done it actually...I meant in my country.

Anyway, New tips are on the way...they don't sell lenk tips here.

Go Up