Go Down

Topic: 14 segment with register shift (Read 863 times) previous topic - next topic

microguy

I have 13 of 14 segment displays on board. I assume we need to add register shift to use 14 segment display. Can someone tell me what kind of register shift should we use and how many register shift do we need for 13 of 14 segment displays? Do we need to add transistor and resistors on it? What kind of transistors and the value on resistors to I need for it? Is there schematic for it?

Reid

tomm

I have 13 of 14 segment displays on board. I assume we need to add register shift to use 14 segment display. Can someone tell me what kind of register shift should we use and how many register shift do we need for 13 of 14 segment displays? Do we need to add transistor and resistors on it? What kind of transistors and the value on resistors to I need for it? Is there schematic for it?

Reid

Knowing nothing about the segment displays or how they're connected I can only offer general advice.

If you multiplex the displays then you can set them up as common-anode or common-cathode. Then you connect your 14 segments to individual outputs on a 16 bit shift register. For your 13 digits, you either need a driver or you can use a transistor to switch each one on. You'll have to work out resistor/transistor values based on your specific hardware.

Graynomad

For 14 LEDs you need two shift registers.

Is there schematic for it?

I think there is an example in the shiftOut() reference on the Arduino site.

Do we need to add transistor and resistors on it?

If you use the popular 74xx595 shift reg you will need transistors (+ base resistors + current-limiting resistors) to drive the LEDs.

A better way is to buffer the SR with a driver chip like the ULN2803 (?) but you still need current-limiting resistors.

The best way is to use a constant-current driver chip like the TLC5916 or TLC5927, these are shift regs with all the driving circuitry in them. Or use one of the many MAX multiplexed driver chips.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name:
Email:

shortcuts: alt+s submit/post or alt+p preview