Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Operating the Atmega328 without the arduino  (Read 2408 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Make sure the microcontroller is plugged in starting at row 11 bridging across the two sides
of the breadboard....
My breadboard doesn't have any numbers on it.  Now what do I do?

What about the capacitors that are supposed to be used with the voltage regulator?  I don't see them mentioned.

Don
If your breadboard doesn't have numbers on it then number it, or buy one that has the standard numbers and letters on it.

Only one capacitor is needed I listed it and it's connected to VCC and ground not the voltage regulator!
"8. Insert the 0.1uF capacitor between pins 7 and 8 of the microcontroller (+5V and GND)."

This is how I have mine hooked up on my breadboard and it works fine. I bought a kit that included instructions and all the needed parts.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:18:06 am by GomerPyle » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"My breadboard doesn't have any numbers on it."
Yes it does, they are clearly seen in the picture, from 1 to 30.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I found another breadboard but it's numbers are upside down and only every fifth number appears.  Can I use the other rows?  My letters are upside down as well and they are capitalized, will that make a difference?

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Umm, please tell us you're taking the piss floresta.

numbers are upside down...My letters are upside down as well

Here's a tip, turn the bread board around.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I can't believe that you are responding to my idiotic posts instead of to the one that started all this.  Actually the capacitor part was for real, I think Gomer knows as much about three terminal regulators as his namesake.

Don
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:58:32 am by floresta » Logged

View Profile

I found another breadboard but it's numbers are upside down and only every fifth number appears.  Can I use the other rows?  My letters are upside down as well and they are capitalized, will that make a difference?

The problem is with your maturity level not your breadboard!

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Sorry.  In terms of the breadboard pins I was just trying to make a joke out of your original post as opposed to just coming right out and saying how ridiculous it was to specify exactly which breadboard pins to use.  In terms of the capacitor(s) that should be used with the three terminal regulator you are just plain wrong.

Don

View Profile

I can't believe that you are responding to my idiotic posts instead of to the one that started all this.  Actually the capacitor part was for real, I think Gomer knows as much about three terminal regulators as his namesake.

Don
I think you should read a few datasheets for voltage regulators. It sounds like your implying that there are two terminal regulators!

A voltage regulator doesn't need a capacitor! I can show you thousands of schematics that support that statement!

Now since your reading comprehension is at the same level as your maturity I will explain it all to you!

The capacitor is needed between the VCC and GND pins of the Atmel chip, the voltage regulator supplies 5V to the Positive rails of the breadboard. With me so far? Now we connect pin 7 to the Positive rail and pin 8 to GND. If you ever looked at the datasheet you would see that pin 7 is VCC and pin 8 is GND!

Maybe you need it simpified even further!
Power goes from the battery through the regulator to the capacitor then to the chip!

I have no credentials and I'm fairly new to microcontrollers and dont claim to be a genius or goduino like you! Like I said I bought a kit that included all the needed parts along with detailed instructions, the kit is designed by two MIT graduates with degrees in electrical engineering and computer science.
The directions I provided are from that kit, I can't post the PDF or I would have!

They explain everything very clearly and teach you WHY you are doing things. I recommend one to anybody trying to build thier own microcontroller.
The name of the kit is "Nerdkits" look it up!

View Profile

Sorry.  In terms of the breadboard pins I was just trying to make a joke out of your original post as opposed to just coming right out and saying how ridiculous it was to specify exactly which breadboard pins to use.  In terms of the capacitor(s) that should be used with the three terminal regulator you are just plain wrong.

Don
You may find it ridiculous but how else would you explain where to hook up components on a breadboard? There is a reason why each row is identified with a character!!!

As previously stated I COPIED those instructions, they were written by a MIT graduate with degrees in electrical engineering and computer science!

Look Einstien these instructions are from a working kit! If you knew electronics like you think you do then you could see that the VR and Cap are hooked up in the same circuit!

Both positive rails are connected to the output of the VR therefore when we hook up the Cap to the positive rail it becomes part of that circuit!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:05:52 pm by GomerPyle » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: