Go Down

Topic: suitable sensor to read crowd reaction during a debate (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

u0421793

Cardboard has no moving parts?
<wikipedia>
Hmm, you're right!

One alternative strategy is to assume (probably rightly) that everyone there has a phone that has some degree of smartness, enough to run a browser. If we discount the possibility that some people are not running smart phones, and of those that are, some are not provisioned with data access that they don't have to pay extra for, then you could simply go in the direction of a mobile web app. The audience would be given the url as (for example) a projected QRcode, and once there, would be able to press a button on screen to register an active response (whether that's yes or no) or not respond. It's a bit exclusive, I know, as some inevitably won't have a phone, some phones won't be smartphones, some smartphones would require paying discretely for data, etc.

mrjack

Thanks people... some good solutions/suggestions here...

heat sensors to detect flaming torches, and metal detectors to detect pitchforks
... some creative thinking there AWOL, but I think perhaps this one's best left for my next BNP/KKK meeting!

Pressure sensors inthe chairs / floor as people start to stand/ move more?
... this is something I already considered, but to be honest I'd like to keep away from being reliant on having the right type of flooring - it could get potentially quite expensive having to construct a pressure sensitive floor for up to 200 people, no?

hand out sheets of cardboard with one side red and one side green.  Then a simple light sensor could check for the amount of reflected red vs reflected green and come up with a rating based on that
... I like this solution for its' simplicity, and am going to keep it in mind, but it does seem a bit like the TV programme "ready steady cook" where the audience votes with read or green coloured peppers on cards (perhaps this was your thinking??)

The audience would be given the url as (for example) a projected QRcode, and once there, would be able to press a button on screen to register an active response (whether that's yes or no) or not respond
... this is a great idea but as you say it's somewhat exclusive, though that I think it could work really well in conjunction with a slightly less exclusive method. Bearing in mind that this will be at a festival with potentially little-to-zero 3g access - how would I go about providing a wireless hub for people to log in to the url? Or could the wireless network simply open up on the voting page automatically? I have little knowledge of wireless/web technology at this level  :~

have you considered using a video camera and comparing each frame with the previous
... this I think could be a catch (almost) all way of capturing an aggregate response from the crowd. I was already thinking of using a couple of cctv cameras. Like I said, they have bnc connectors, up to 90degree angle and I think over 10 metres range so could capture the entire tent. I don't have any C or C++ knowledge, but how easy do you think it would be for me to program OpenCV to read the pixel image one frame to the next, as you say? (I have 3 months, working on this very part-time, to get it up and running!)

Go Up