Go Down

Topic: How to use Infra red numbers (Read 471 times) previous topic - next topic

jabaruk

Hi, newbie here but i love this Arduino,heres my problem i have a IR receiver and can get an out put on serial (ie  press 1 i get 687CBE2 or press 2 i get 687CBEA) i use the IRremote.h to get this using this example sketch

Code: [Select]
// example 32.1 - IR receiver code repeater

// http://tronixstuff.com/tutorials > chapter 32

// based on code by Ken Shirriff - http://arcfn.com

#include <IRremote.h> // use the library

int receiver = 11; // pin 1 of IR receiver to Arduino digital pin 11

IRrecv irrecv(receiver); // create instance of 'irrecv'

decode_results results;

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(9600); // for serial monitor output

irrecv.enableIRIn(); // Start the receiver

}

void loop()

{

if (irrecv.decode(&results)) // have we received an IR signal?

{

Serial.println(results.value, HEX); // display it on serial monitor in hexadecimal

irrecv.resume(); // receive the next value

}  // Your loop can do other things while waiting for an IR command

}

Now i am a bit lost on how to use these numbers (from serial) to do anything like turn a LED on say pin 13 and then off.I understand Ledpin HIGH LOW etc but not how to use the HEX (i think) numbers from the remote?

MarkT

The Serial.print is printing the number in its hex representation - but you could print it in decimal if you wanted.

To use the value you just need to compare it with the relevant value - if working in HEX use hexadecimal long integer constants:

switch (results.value)
  {
  case 0x687CBE2L:
    // do something for '1'
    break ;
  case 0x687CBEAL:
    // do something for '2'
    break ;
    // etc etc
  }
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

jabaruk

I solved this problem and will show anyone interested the sketch in case it helps you .first what i did is wire up a IR receiver i reclaimed from an old DVD player the 3 pins left to right were Data, Ground and VCC +5V (looking at the IR receiver from the front where the half bubble is) ,Data went to digital pin 11,Ground to GRD and VCC to 5V, i then tested this with an example sketch from the IRremote. library (which you need) this sketch just read a HEX number from the remote when i pressed a button on the remote and sent it to a serial console,In my case pressing "1" on the remote would give me a code of 687CBE2 which i noted down on paper ,getting this code i knew this was working what i didnt know was what to do with code,here is the sketch which should explain how it works (pressing 1 on remote control would turn LED on pressing 2 on remote would turn LED off.

// example 32.1 - IR receiver code repeater

// http://tronixstuff.com/tutorials > chapter 32

// based on code by Ken Shirriff - http://arcfn.com

#include <IRremote.h> // use the library

int receiver = 11; // pin 1 of IR receiver to Arduino digital pin 11
int ledPin = 13;  // Pin 13 as LED

IRrecv irrecv(receiver); // create instance of 'irrecv'

decode_results results;

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(9600); // for serial monitor output

irrecv.enableIRIn(); // Start the receiver

pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);  //Pin 13 as output for LED
}

void loop()

{

if (irrecv.decode(&results)) // have we received an IR signal?

{
{
      if (results.value == 0x687CBE2L) {   // 0x687CBE2L button press 1 on remote control
      Serial.write("ON\n"); 
      digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);  // turn on LED
      }

else if (results.value == 0x687CBEAL) { // 0x687CBE2L button press 2 on remote control
      Serial.write("off\n");
       digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); // turn LED off

}
}
    Serial.println(results.value, HEX); // display it on serial monitor in hexadecimal

irrecv.resume(); // receive the next value

}  // Your loop can do other things while waiting for an IR command

}

I can now  control LED,servo's and motors etc from the Arduino with a free reclaimed remote control how cool is that ,Hope this helps anyone else .

Go Up