Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Running Time  (Read 524 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I will be requiring to have my arduino mega clone running constantly for approx 7-8 weeks, is there any risk of overheating or any other related problems of which I should be aware of?

Many Thanks,
Savers

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I will be requiring to have my arduino mega clone running constantly for approx 7-8 weeks, is there any risk of overheating or any other related problems of which I should be aware of?

Shouldn't be a problem, I've has an Arduino controlled 5x5x5 led cube running continously for a couple of months now. Just pay attention to your power source (run it well under rated capacity) and avoid any unusual ambient conditions.

Lefty

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

I believe the millis() count overflows after something like 49 days, though this is only a problem if you write delay code improperly.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, light sensor, potentiometers, pushbuttons

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

yea as long as your not pushing anything power wise and do a little rollover math, these things weakest points are the electrolytic capacitors which take decades to fail on average

Arduino rocks
View Profile

As a general rule its the power on and power off stages that cause the most wear on components, due to voltage surges!

It's Electric
View Profile

Make sure you have a heatsink on the voltage regulator in my opinion. They cost like $1. You can also get heatsinks the ATMega chip though its probably not necessary but you can get them.

As others have said, power is your biggest concern. If you built your power supply make sure everything meets or exceeds the power specifications of the Arduino and anything else running off it. Even if you are just using a power brick, make sure that's not a total piece of junk. Ensure you have good power surge/spike protection...I guess that's about it.

Megas are pretty well made. Surface mount and the soldering is prtty good. It's not a crap board, so you are good.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Will give it some initial testing before leaving on for the extended length of time.

Cheers,
Savers.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

what is a arduino?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

what is a arduino?

Isn't it a small animal that is not good at crossing roads without getting smashed by cars?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/mikep/WindowsLiveWriter/ClaireOHalloranakatheArmadillojoinstheB_99FB/Armadillo%255B1%255D.png&imgrefurl=http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikep/archive/2007/01/29/claire-o-halloran-aka-the-armadillo-joins-the-blogosphere.aspx&h=412&w=640&sz=463&tbnid=2F8T3umyYnFBQM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Darmadillo&zoom=1&q=armadillo&usg=__sPaDj4k0HaAydO72jWroxXjoM3A=&sa=X&ei=Kg2RTPjmNIv6sAOgiMWxDg&ved=0CCgQ9QEwAg

Lefty

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

what is a arduino?

A hard shell possom.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:50:24 pm by zoomkat » Logged

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Cretins! It's a cheese init!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: