Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: lipo batteries below freezing  (Read 1046 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm going to put some Arduino boards outside as part of a sensor network.  They'll be powered by lipo batteries with solar panels and the necessary charging circuitry.  But I've read that lipos shouldn't be charged below 0 degrees C.  It routinely gets below freezing for weeks at a time where I'm at.  Do I need to use a different battery chemistry?

The Netherlands
Beep!
View Profile

Check the datasheet that goes with the LiPo battery, or ask the manufacturer if it can be done safely.
I've heard stories that you shouldn't charge LiPo's below 0 C, but it's not more than stories.

If you can't find an answer from the manufacturer, I'd switch to a different type of battery.
I've seen what can happen when LiPo's are used the wrong way, it's not pretty to see an expensive RC car go up in flames...
LiPo's are still quite dangerous batteries when you don't take all safety measures into account, which are quite alot compared to NiMH.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Manufacturer's datasheets are the best guide.   There are several other lithium technologies than LiPo that might fare better.  All water-based electrolyte batteries get sluggish in the cold and depending on the electrolyte concentration will freeze eventually. (SLA, NiMH, Alkaline, Zinc-carbon)

All lithium rechargeables do need careful charge-control and protection to keep them safe and avoid shortening their life.  In a cold environment it could be an idea to use sunlight to warm the battery as well as generate the current to charge it?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: