Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TX light stays on (do I need to program a new FTDI chip?)  (Read 1329 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am testing a clone of an arduino I made for a personal project that essentially used the deuminalove pcb layout/parts/schematic as the basis.

Everything powers up and the FTDI chip can be ready by my computer. However, the TX light stays stuck on the pcb and I am unable to send or receive serial messages from my arduino.

I bought the FTDI chip new from Mouser. Do I need to program the eeprom on it?

Switzerland
View Profile

Does it stay lit if you remove the ATmega chip?  The FTDI chip should not need programming, and if your PC recognises it that's a good sign.  It could be that the AVR chip has its serial pins configured as high outputs, forcing the serial LEDs on.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It could be that the AVR chip has its serial pins configured as high outputs, forcing the serial LEDs on.

No, the FTDI uses different pins for the rx/tx leds then the signal lines it uses for tx/rx to the AVR chip. They are not electrically connected and do not simple reflect the electrical value of the pins 0 and 1 state.

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

yeah the TX light stays on whether a atmega is plugged in or not.

However, I did notice that the problem seems to occur when powering off of the USB jack. When I am powering from external source it is not staying on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: