Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 5 speakers with 5 different audio and motion sensors  (Read 1091 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just looking for help to find the easiest and cheapest solution.
I am trying to create small sound playing system that plays sound on motion detection.

I need speaker on the wall that plays prerecorded human talking  when someone passes by. There will be 5 speakers with sensors, every one playing different sound.

I was wondering, is there a way to connect 5 motion detection sensors to arduino, and when, for example sensor nr.1 is activated, arduino activates (turns on) sound speaker nr.1, and turns off all other speakers?

Any ideas? I'm quite new with speakers and Arduino.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

It should be possible. You will need a wave shield, and an analogue multiplexer, then five amplifiers and speakers.
What makes it possible is that you only need one sound at a time. That is produced by the wave shield and switched to the appropriate amplifier through the multiplexer. What sort of sensors do you have?

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Arduino 4 Prez
View Profile

If the sound doesn't have to start from the beginning every time it's triggered, you could use relays connected in series to each of the speakers, then trigger them on and off as needed.
Ofthe audio has to start as someone walks into the zone, then you may want tolook at the wave shield option posted above.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, the sound is played continuously, i just need to turn on or off speakers. I saw on the web already that I can connect speakers and relays, but I don't know what kind of relays i need. Can you help me with advise?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

but I don't know what kind of relays i need
Any sort of relays will work. However you might get clicks as you switch over.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm gonna try it!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

For the amplifier side, you might consider a few (3 stereo amps for 6 separate channels) chip based t-amp like the dayton dta-2.  They're nice and small, DC powered, and at least in the case of the dta-2, the volume and power switch are on a separate daughterboard, which would make interfacing with the Arduino more convenient.  As far as the audio source goes, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find some tiny flash based mp3 players for under $10 each.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Got it!
everything is working!

I am using IRF 510 transistor as switch and photo resistor as motion sensor. Now when someone passes in front of the sensor, transistor turns on speaker. Everything is driven by processing, using arduino library.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: