Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Interfacing with my home automation  (Read 491 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

Over the past few years I've been slowly 'automating' my home.

Being a self-confessed geek, I have PCs/Laptops all over the house.
I have one main server that controls devices in the house by way of USB-Serial devices/K8055s/ADU devices.

The software on all machines that have these devices in listens in a group over TCP/IP (multicast) and when a device is switched through one PC/Laptop all the others know about it and display the current state of the switch (for example, I have a button that turns on an amplifier in my living room, if I click the button on the TV screen to turn it on, the TV in the bedroom will scroll a message along the bottom informing the watcher that the amplifier in the living room has just been turned on).

What I would like to do is to have a device (such as my Arduino) on say, my daughers light switch (she uses a bedside lamp, so not into the mains), that broadcasts that the switch to the lamp has been manually clicked and the 'clients' will know and inform all the users of other devices (TV) in the house that the lamp is now on.
Currently, this only works if she uses one of the PCs to turn the lamp on - which of course, she wouldn't do, she'd simply flick the switch on the lamp.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, is there a sheild that I can buy for the Arduino that allows 802.11 and also a networking library that I can use to write a multicasting program to inform everything else on my network of the devices status?

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

First of all... can I get some of your money?
Placing an Arduino on each power switch in your house is going to cost you big time. Add an Ethernet shield and it gets even more expensive. Now imagine you'll want all the lights and other items and it is a small fortune.
Plus, what will you do with the data collected?

Say you wanted that and the ability for the Arduino to turn on/off the said appliance and it could become a presence simulator thingy you'd leave working when going on vacation. But it would still be somewhat expensive,  not easy to implement and, and to be honest, with very little useful applications.

A better idea, would be to measure consumed current. Most lights will have a separate circuit breaker. Wall plugs will have another, electric stove, water heater, another... and if you measure current there, you could get away with one Arduino knowing more or less the status of the house with very little work done in terms of installation (compared to installing on every light switch in the house) and you'd get a lot more valuable data that could enable you to change habits, etc, etc...

Answering your questions:

Look for Black Widow from Async Labs or WiFly shield in Sparkfun. If you can find a module from Roving Networks, you can wire it to work with the Arduino, but it won't look as good.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Wall plugs will have another, electric stove, water heater, another... and if you measure current there, you could get away with one Arduino knowing more or less the status of the house with very little work done in terms of installation (compared to installing on every light switch in the house) and you'd get a lot more valuable data that could enable you to change habits, etc, etc...

Ahhh - an excellent idea! Thank you.

Although, that said, I'm not too bothered about the expense - this sort of thing is like paying National Insurance to me; it's just one of those overheads that has to be taken into account ;-)

I also have a big bag of magnetic switches that I'm intending to fit to all the doors in the house, I'm going to need a way to broadcast to the nextwork the status of each door.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Although, that said, I'm not too bothered about the expense
Maybe, but an Arduino and XBEE for a single switch is just wrong smiley

Have you looked at the Jeenodes. There are affectively an Arduino and a radio transmitter on a very small board, I think they might be good for this.

Either way you will need local power of some type.

______
Rob

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:59:36 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hmmm...that looks interesting.

The other idea I had was to use wireless doorbells with the doorbell bit wired into the K8055 that in turn broadcasts the event to the rest of the network.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: