Go Down

Topic: Conflict between wifi dongle and Arduino IDE (Read 77 times) previous topic - next topic

polo15000

Hi,
Recently I have not been able to open the Arduino IDE.
Double-click the shortcut, the splash screen appears and that's as far as it gets.

Within the splash screen is says "Starting" but the whole PC becomes unresponsive - Task Manager cannot terminate it and I have to turn off the PC and restart.

It's a Windows 7 desktop PC. IDE is v1.6.5.0

This seems to be caused by the PC's wifi dongle. Up until recently the PC was connected by a network cable to the router. Arduino IDE all worked fine.
For various reasons I had to move the router so now the PC has a USB wifi dongle that I believe uses a Realtek chipset (RTL8811AU). The internet works fine but the Arduino IDE stops at the splash screen as described above.

If I unplug the dongle, restart the PC (so now no internet) the IDE starts up OK - can edit, compile everything.

I have tried Windows Update and a driver update for the dongle but these haven't helped.

So I am guessing a USB port conflict but why is it interfering with the IDE and how to fix it?

Grateful for your help.

Pete

ballscrewbob

You seem to have narrowed it down quite well to your WiFi adaptor.

Possible issues from there could be remnant network settings for the wired connection.

Have you tried turning OFF the "check for updates on startup" in the IDE preferences ?
That could make a difference.

Also a few people have had issues with thier computer security also causing IDE issues in terms of antivirus and such.

Other issues can be related to the ownership of the computer where company or educational security policy may interfere with both the install and or operation of the IDE.

Most issues with not seeing anything AFTER the splash screen often turn out to be dual monitor issues where a computer may have used a second display at some time.



It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

polo15000

Thanks for the help - I have tried most of what was suggested.

At the moment the IDE is starting reliably and working OK.

The change I have made is to get rid of the Realtek wifi dongle and I now have a (15m) network cable directly from the router to the back of the PC.

The long cable is a bit of a trip hazard!

My IDE is 1.6.5 so maybe I'll do an update soon.

Thanks

ballscrewbob

Thanks for the update.

Cant really see why the adapter would do that unless it was a bad driver in some way.
We have also seen cell phone drivers for computers cause some COM issues too (just came to me) but not seen any of those for a long time.

1.6.5 was a pretty reliable release.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up