Go Down

Topic: BOOTLOADER  (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

achimpieters

Hello all,

I have a question: After having read several inscrutables about uploading a new bootloader, I am left with a question / problem, namely:

Is it possible to place the new bootloader on an arduino which has the "Old version" installed?

I have an arduino nano clone with the "old bootloader", but I would like to provide it with the new bootloader.

When I try to upload the new bootloader I always get the message: avrdude: stk500_getsync () attempt 1 or 10: not in sync: resp = 0x49

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance! smiley-lol:

westfw

Is it possible to place the new bootloader on an arduino which has the "Old version" installed?
Yes.  The usual "burn bootloader" procedures will simply overwrite any bootloader that was already there.
(in fact, ISP programming does a full "chip erase" before sending new code.)

I always get the message: avrdude: stk500_getsync () attempt 1 or 10: not in sync: resp = 0x49
Can someone help me with this?
We'd need a lot more details.
Nick Gammon's tutorial is one of the best:  http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

AWOL

CAUTION: also posted in the Nederlands section
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

achimpieters

@westfw

Thank you, I will have a look!

achimpieters

@AWOL

thas correct, because nobody replies in the Dutch section, and here the do!

achimpieters

Nov 08, 2018, 12:16 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2018, 12:20 pm by achimpieters
@westfw

My setup is like described at the site:

But when uploading the "new bootloader" it give's my the error.

I followed al steps as described here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

The only thing that is different is that I have to set the processor to "old bootloader".

When I do so It uploads the bootloader, but when I connect it to my computer and open arduino IDE I still have to select "old bootlader", so it does not burn the new one????

:smiley-confuse:

westfw

• You are missing a wire from D10 (of the "programmer") to RESET (of the target board to be re-programmed.)
  • 5V of the programmer should probably be connected to 5V of the target, rather than Vin - otherwise you'll get some voltage drop through the regulator.
  • You may need a moderate sized capacitor (10-100uF) between reset and GND of the "programmer" board (added AFTER your load Arduino As ISP.)
  • To program the new bootloader, you should have the "board" set to Nano rather than "nano (old bootloader."

The Full Process has essentially 3 steps:
  • Configure some Arduino board as the programmer.  Use whatever board type and port is needed to upload the "ArduinoISP" Example to the programmer board.  Connect the cap between Reset and GND of the programmer board.  Set the "Programmer" type to "Arduino as ISP" (which is, alas, different than "ArduinoISP")
  • Wire the Programmer board to the target.  In theory, you should turn off power to both boards while you do this.  You need 6 pins of the target connected: MISO, MOSI, SCLK, RESET, GND, and power (power need not be connected to the programmer, but can be.)
  • Do the actual "burn" - set the  "Board" to the desired target, leave the port and programmer set as in (1), and use the "Burn Bootloader" command.   Power everything down, and disconnect.

achimpieters

Nov 09, 2018, 11:11 am Last Edit: Nov 09, 2018, 06:31 pm by achimpieters
@westfw

Thank you verry much for your reply! :)

I'am using adruino nano clone's with an old bootloader on it, and I want to "upgrade" them to the lastest bootlader.

So the hardware setup step are like this:

Note: The black cable on the programmer needs to be connected to GND and not Vin
I'will give it a try tonight, I will let you know if it did work or not. :smiley-wink:

westfw

Yes, that looks good (except for the power/gnd connections of the "programmer", which are both off-by-1.

achimpieters

@westfw

It Worked! The capacitor did the trick. Thank you a lot ! :D

westfw

Great!

Could you attach/post or otherwise publish your fritzing source for the diagrams you made?
They're quite nice (excepting the errors), and since I didn't see a "Nano to Nano" set of pictures in the other tutorials I glanced at, it might be useful...  Thanks!

achimpieters

@westfw

Yes I will, here you go:  https://www.studiopieters.nl/arduino-bootloader-upgrade it will be live at November the 20th.

Best regards!

Go Up