Go Down

Topic: Arduino controlled model trains and layout (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Nov 15, 2018, 05:39 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2018, 05:40 am by Steve_Massikker
Finally had some time to visit your site and ... amazing project.

Robin2

Nov 15, 2018, 10:06 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2018, 10:07 am by Robin2
@Steve_Massikker, you seem to have missed my question in Reply #22 "How does your system know the position of a particular train?"

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

My system working at DC mode. So, not need detect the position of a particular train.

Robin2

Nov 15, 2018, 05:53 pm Last Edit: Nov 15, 2018, 05:55 pm by Robin2
My system working at DC mode. So, not need detect the position of a particular train.
I understand DC train control but I don't understand how you can control the trains without knowing where they are?

How can your system slow a train when it approaches a red light if it does not know that the train is approaching a red light?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

sterretje

If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Robin2

Nov 15, 2018, 08:11 pm Last Edit: Nov 15, 2018, 08:15 pm by Robin2
Post #25 mentions hall sensors.
And Reply #32 implies that there is no train detection ? ? ?

It's all going to be very confusing for someone who is familiar with DC control of model trains but is not familiar with (and maybe not interested in) Arduinos.

...R

Nov 16, 2018, 04:46 am Last Edit: Nov 16, 2018, 08:49 am by Steve_Massikker
Robin, you have a little de-railing :) :) :)

I repeat, the DC system control running via change the voltage on the rail - so there is no need to determine the position of the train. It is the train always that runs exactly on this section of the rails.

In the DCC, the train is controlled by a decoder inside the locomotive, and the commands for changing movement come from an external digital console at the address of this decoder. In this case, the rails are used as a one-way data bus from the console to the decoder of a specific locomotive. In this case, the voltage on the rails is not changeble.

You can stop a particular train in front of a traffic light by removing the voltage from the section of rails in front of it, as on classic DC. But the question arises, why then do you need a DCC system?

See WIKI, even there is no mention of the control of the engine locomotive - only about sensors and relays.

Nov 16, 2018, 05:59 am Last Edit: Nov 16, 2018, 06:02 am by Steve_Massikker
Hall sensors

Robin2

Nov 16, 2018, 10:37 am Last Edit: Nov 16, 2018, 11:11 am by Robin2
You can stop a particular train in front of a traffic light by removing the voltage from the section of rails in front of it, as on classic DC.
I did ask in Reply #18 if that is what you do.

It seems to me a very abrupt way to exercise control. All the passengers' coffees will be spilled.

And it's not how the real railway works :)

...R

It seems to me a very abrupt way to exercise control. All the passengers' coffees will be spilled.
And it's not how the real railway works :)
...R
I don't even know what to say. :) :) :)

All right thank you very much, anyway. It was an interesting discussion.

Robin2

All right thank you very much, anyway. It was an interesting discussion.
I'm guessing from your comment that you may not have got the sort of response you were expecting. I know you have put a great deal of time and effort into your project and into the website that presents it.

It is often a good idea to get feedback during the course of the development of a project - especially from the people who will be your "customers". In this case I expect that the customers will be people who would like some "tech" control of their model trains without the expense of using DCC.

My guess is that the regular users of this Forum are less likely to be customers for your product simply because they have the skills to develop their own system - keep that in mind when reading the comments.

Have you tried presenting your system on any of the model railway forums such as RMWeb?

I'm not sure if it is my age but I like to get a quick technical overview of something to let me know if it is worth while reading through a lengthy website. I think the essence of your system could be presented in 8 or 10 lines of text - the "skinny" or the "executive summary".

...R

That's what it looked like. Thanks again!

Go Up