Go Down

Topic: Firmware Update 1.2.1 - available now, with BLE mode (Read 318 times) previous topic - next topic

sandeepmistry

Nov 14, 2018, 04:40 pm Last Edit: Nov 16, 2018, 07:33 pm by sandeepmistry
Hi everyone,

Today we are pleased to announce version 1.2.1 of the Arduino NINA-W102 firmware, which includes initial BLE support. For a full list of changes to the firmware, please see the CHANGELOG on Github.

There is a new ArduinoBLE library available to go along with with the firmware release. The library is currently in "beta". and only supports BLE peripheral mode. Please note, WiFi functionality (using the WiFiNINA library) cannot be used at the same time as BLE.

Here's are some steps to get you started:

• Download and install the hourly Arduino IDE build.
  • Using the board manager (Tools -> Board: ... -> Board Manager ...), install or update the "Arduino megaAVR boards" package. Version 1.6.24 or later is required.
  • Launch the hourly IDE release and use the IDE's library manager (Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries ...) to install/update the following libraries: WiFiNINA, ArduinoBLE. Version 1.3.0 or later of the WiFiNINA library is required.
  • Plug in the Uno WiFi Rev2 board into your PC with a USB cable.
  • Select Arduino Uno WiFi Rev2 as the board and it's serial port in the Tools menu of the IDE.
  • Open the WiFiNINA Firmware Updater example sketch: File -> Examples -> WiFiNINA -> Tools -> FirmwareUpdater
  • Upload the sketch onto your board.
  • If the Serial Monitor is open, close it.
  • Launch the "WiFi 101 / NINA Firmware Updater" from the Tools menu of the IDE
  • Select the Serial Port for your board. The latest version of firmware for the NINA will be automattically selected.
  • Click the "Update Firmware" button, and wait for the update to complete.
  • Close the Updater.
  • You can check the version of firmware loaded on the NINA using the Check Version example of the WiFiNINA library: File -> Examples -> WiFiNINA -> Tools -> CheckVersion example sketch.
  • Now you can start using the examples of the ArduinoBLE library

As always we welcome any feedback on the new features here on the forum.

Update: The version 1.2.0 of the NINA firmware had issues with WiFi TLS/SSL connections. We've corrected and deployed a new v1.2.1 firmware in the next hourly build of the IDE.

sm6yvr

Thank you for the guide!

I'm now running firmware version 1.2.1

BR
Roberth Andersson

kock

Hi,

In step 7, downloading "Firmware Updater tool" seems to be correct.

In step 9, my IDE 1.8.7 proposes "WiFi 101 Firmware Updater" and not "WiFi 101 / NINA Firmware Updater"

In step 10, i click "test connection" => i got "connection error ... Programmer not responding"

In step 11, i got "Programmer not responding"

my configuration is :
- IDE 1.87
- installed firmware is 1.0.0 (info from check tool).

Thanks for your help

Dan

sandeepmistry

Hi @kock,

From step 1) you should be using the hourly IDE build and not version 1.8.7. Today IDE v1.8.8 has also been released which also contains the new firmware updater for the NINA module.

Go Up