Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: [picture trade] Your messy breadboard pics for my Arduino cable organizer  (Read 3554 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

CrossRoads,

If you still use Arduino boards, you could save that design in your picture by connecting all those wires going to arduino to my breakout board. I've tested a GLCD to work on an 18" cable without any problem so fast communication is no problem. If you need more power on your board, you'll be adding separate power to your BB anyway.

If you're interested, I'll send you a PCB set. Give it a try to see if you like it. PM me. US mail under 3oz should break my bank smiley-wink

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Wirewrapping for digital circuits is waaay better IMO than point to point soldering.
If just doing one-off designs, is the way to go.
Home made PCBs... smiley-grin

I've never actually tried wirewrapping but the idea just seems weird to me - I like soldering smiley-grin

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

It's the toxic fume from the rosin, isn't it mowcius?

I didn't like perf board when I started with electronics but now I can do it, just takes more time for one prototype. Either it's 3 hours soldering or 3 weeks waiting, I mostly choose waiting. Maybe in the near future, PCBs can be done at home without much chemicals just like laser printers. When I started turning in printed lab reports, I had to wait 20 minutes for my NEC dot matrix printer to print a few pages. Those days are gone.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I like wirewrap because I can make each design match the parts I have on hand and slowly use up this stock of stuff that's been accumilating since 1980.
I've done some PCBs, where I knew I was going to need  a bunch of one design, but the other things I've been making them up as I go and adjusting the design and tweaking the design.
I've done some PCB layouts for the boards I ended up wirewrapping, just never got around to ordering them.

Liudr,
That design in my picture has already been wirewrapped up 5 times.
I have only built promini's into my projects, bought a bunch of them and a Basic FTDI adapter from Gravitech for way less than buying a bunch of duemilanove's would have been, and when those ran out I started wirewrapping up promini equivalents.  I don't think I will ever build a duemilanove or UNO into a project.

Robert

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

And even the PCBs I made, I designed in transistors as a logic inverter and LED drivers because I had a drawerful and wanted to use them, while a 7406 would have done all I needed and probably needed a little less room on the board.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

because I had a drawerful and wanted to use them
I know that feeling. You've bought a lot of something cos they were cheap if you purchased in bulk (when you only needed one) and now you're trying to use what you have.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Maybe in the near future, PCBs can be done at home without much chemicals just like laser printers. When I started turning in printed lab reports, I had to wait 20 minutes for my NEC dot matrix printer to print a few pages. Those days are gone.
Milled PCBs are the way to go - now to make a PCB miller.

PCBs can be milled really fast and accurately and with a hole of two for alignment, double sided PCBs can be done with relative ease too.

Perhaps something like a high speed RC motor (very small) with a custom chuck (or possibly commercially available chuck off a mini-drill or similar) could be used with some laser cut mounts and simple circuitry - could be a pretty epic mini milling machine for PCBs. Reprap type project. I know similar has been done before but it's never quite been cracked in an easy to make and customise cheap machine.

Fancy it? I hear kickstarter works well smiley-grin

I don't think I will ever build a duemilanove or UNO into a project.
Nahh they're for prototyping. I like the initial idea but I really want to buy a big bag of chips and approriate hardware for making them run and just make a custom PCB for each project.

I like wirewrap because I can make each design match the parts I have on hand and slowly use up this stock of stuff that's been accumilating since 1980.
Thankfully my stuff's only been accumulating for a few years and I don't have enough yet!

This post should have been before the other one but I didn't notice it hadn't posted smiley-grin

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Grumpy_Mike has a PCB milling machine, I don't have the time to duplicate it, nor likely the programming skills to go from gerbers or something to what the  machine would need for milling directions.  So wirewrap for now ...

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Here is Grumpy_Mike's:
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/CNC_Conversion.html

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yeah I've seen his - it's nice

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

mowcius - you should try wirewrapping at least once; it's main downfall is the fact that you need to buy a wirewrap tool (for small projects, a manual tool is fine; looks something like a larger jeweler's screwdriver), the wirewrap wire, plus the special wirewrap sockets/pins (they have square legs which are longer than regular thru-hole sockets - but they aren't cheap).

The way I've done it in the past has been to solder the sockets/pins in place where wanted on pad-per-hole prototyping PCB, then wire the circuit up. I haven't made many boards this way as its fairly tedious to do, and if you make any mistake, it can be difficult to correct depending on the number of layers of wire and where in the level stack the endpoints are (there are methodologies to how to wirewrap a board properly to prevent this from being a huge issue - but it will always be some kind of issue).

It's something to try at least once in your life, just to say you're familiar with it; while the downsides are there, on the upside (when properly done) you end up with a much stronger mechanical joint than you get with soldering (if that's a need). Just something to know for your bag of tools, I suppose.

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

crOsh, you do wirewrapping a big disservice!
It goes quick with a hand wrapper, which can be had for like $6 at Radio Shack.
Similarly, a 100' roll of 30 guage wire is not very much.
Individual sockets can be expensive, but buy socket strips like this
http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=SIP20L
are much cheaper and offer lots of flexibiity. You can socket a promini with these easily - but you can't buy a standalone socket for one, its too wide.
Rework/design changes are much, much easier than trying to unravel multiple soldered wires on pins.

For an extreme example, consider these two schematics. I had the first one all wired up, driven by a MAX6921 SMD part (not available as a DIP) on a DIP adapter. It didn't work out, the chip didn't like 5V vs 3.3V, or not having a cooling pad on the bottom, or whatever. So I pulled out all the wiring to the socket and the 8 header strips that went off to the 7 segment displays, and rewired it as the second schematic with  a MAX7221 in DIP socket. Everything worked much better that way. If I had done all that with soldering, it would have been one ugly mess. Wirewrapping came off nice & clean in relatively no time, and since regular multiplexing was used vs the oddball charlieplexing, it actually went back together very quickly.

If one is doing any besides a chip or two and couple of decoupling caps, wirewrapping is way easier to work with.
If you have to make 2-3 connections to a pin, wirewrap sockets are easier to work with also.

* MAX6951_connections.jpg (97.41 KB, 960x720 - viewed 15 times.)

* MAX7221_connections.jpg (98.21 KB, 960x720 - viewed 13 times.)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Here's another example - look at all the parts here & the number of connections made. This would have been a nightmare to solder up in my opinion.

* standalone_scoring_unit3.jpg (109.84 KB, 751x568 - viewed 22 times.)

* standalone_scoring_unit3_back.jpg (183.66 KB, 681x563 - viewed 23 times.)

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

It's something to try at least once in your life, just to say you're familiar with it; while the downsides are there, on the upside (when properly done) you end up with a much stronger mechanical joint than you get with soldering (if that's a need). Just something to know for your bag of tools, I suppose.
Yeah I'll try it at some point probably smiley-grin

Here's another example - look at all the parts here & the number of connections made. This would have been a nightmare to solder up in my opinion.[/quote[
I'm no stranger to soldering lots of connections - as you can see from the second pic I posted up. But that couldn't be wirewrap as it's in a very limited space and not so much a prototype board.

Your obsession with machined pin headers can't be cheap though smiley-grin
Solder is cheap...

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

CrossRoads,

I envy the size of your board! I can only do 100mm*80mm on my EAGLE lite version. So what is the principle of securing the wires with pins by wire wrapping? Will the wrapping ever get loose over time?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: