Go Down

Topic: Serial communication and control. HELP! (Read 734 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello, I am new to Arduino and coding in general, so I delayed posting this in the hopes that I can just learn to do it myself. But I am running out of ideas and really need some help. What I want to do is pretty simple: I would like to input an angle into the serial monitor and have my servo motor turn to that angle.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the Arduino to read the numbers I input together, which makes sense because it IS "serial" communication, but there must be a way to do this right? I am able to get the Arduino to print many different characters at once, but that doesn't help because I need to be able to use the entire value to control my servo. Please help me!

Below is the code I found and was trying to use
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int  serIn; //var that will hold the bytes in read from the serialBuffer

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

int thing;

void loop () {
if(Serial.available() > 0 && Serial.available() < 4){
    //inform that Arduino heard you saying something
    Serial.print("Angle value recieved:");

//keep reading and printing from serial untill there are bytes in the serial buffer
     while (Serial.available()>0){
        serIn = Serial.read();   //read Serial       
        Serial.print(serIn, BYTE);    //prints the character just read
     }

//the serial buffer is over just go to the line (or pass your favorite stop char)               
    Serial.println(BYTE);
  }

//slows down the visualization in the terminal
  delay(1000);
}

Msquare

First fix:
Code: [Select]
if(Serial.available() > 0 && Serial.available() < 4){
If you somehow get behind in reading from serial, then this if will stop it from reading once you are more than 4 bytes behind.

I suspect you wanted to have a 4 character number, but you must do your own buffering, not use the serial buffer.

Woah wait, buffering? how do I do that? And I do only want 3 bytes to get read; the angle will go from 1 degree to 359 degrees. Are you saying that having that condition in there impedes my ability to read and use more than one byte at a time?

Msquare

Apr 08, 2011, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 11:06 pm by Msquare Reason: 1
Well, I do not know what you thought, but I have seen a number of interesting attempts on this Forum, and your first try was leaning in that direction.

Anyhow, a bit of solution. I often have small sketches where I want to tweak something while testing, and rather than recompile and upload a sketch with a new value I use the Serial. I'll just cut-n-paste bits from my last one.

boolean SerGet( ) {
 while ( Serial.available()>0 ) {
   SerC = Serial.read() ;
   if ('a'<=SerC&&SerC<='z') SerC &= B01011111 ; // forces uppercase (for 7bit ASCII)
   switch (SerC) {
     case '0' : case '1' : case '2' : case '3' : case '4' :
     case '5' : case '6' : case '7' : case '8' : case '9' :
       SerV = SerV*10 + byte(SerC)-byte('0') ; //Serial.print(SerV) ;
       break ;
     case 'Z' : ValZ = constrain(SerV,0,12) ; return (true) ;
     case 'A' : ValA = constrain(SerV,0,180) ; return (true) ;
 }
 return ( false ) ;
}

This will accumulate a number of digits in SerV as an integer. The function returns false until it sees the terminating char. So when it returns true you have a valid command char in SerC and a value in SerV. (This code also keeps the value in a dedicated variable... for some other reasons)

So on my terminal I enter 5Z or 234A  or 66a4z and the code can ten use that for a servo (A for angle ...)

(Edited a cut-n-paste error in the code)

This looks great, thank you so much. For some reason it isn't able to compile when I put it into my sketch. That should go behind the setup and loop parts correct?

AWOL

Apr 08, 2011, 11:02 pm Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 11:07 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
You have void function returning a bool value "false".

"return" isn't a function - the parentheses are unnecessary.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Msquare

Apr 08, 2011, 11:05 pm Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 11:08 pm by Msquare Reason: 1
Actually, occasionally it returns true, too  :)

Cut-n-paste error  :smiley-roll-blue: - thats the header of a differnt function. I have edited the post above.

(Edit to correct the tense of above sentence)

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand your code. Could you comment on it a little more or tell me what I should input and what I should expect as an output?

zoomkat

What I want to do is pretty simple: I would like to input an angle into the serial monitor and have my servo motor turn to that angle.

The below should do what you ask.

// zoomkat 10-4-10 serial servo test
// type servo position 0 to 180 in serial monitor
// for writeMicroseconds, use a value like 1500
// for IDE 0019 and later
// Powering a servo from the arduino usually DOES NOT WORK.

String readString;
#include <Servo.h>
Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  myservo.attach(7);  //the pin for the servo control
  Serial.println("servo-test-21"); // so I can keep track of what is loaded
}

void loop() {

while (Serial.available()) {
    delay(1); 
    if (Serial.available() >0) {
      char c = Serial.read();  //gets one byte from serial buffer
      readString += c; //makes the string readString
    }
  }

if (readString.length() >0) {
    Serial.println(readString);  //so you can see the captured string
    int n;
    char carray[6]; //converting string to number
    readString.toCharArray(carray, sizeof(carray));
    n = atoi(carray);
    myservo.writeMicroseconds(n); // for microseconds
    //myservo.write(n); //for degees 0-180
    readString="";
  }
}

Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

Wow thank you so much zoomkat. Now all I have to do is understand it, but I think I can handle that part. The sketch works great! :^)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy