Go Down

Topic: selecting MOSFET for buck converter and battery charge controller (Read 226 times) previous topic - next topic

adyah

I want to build a battery charge controller with solar power. My panel is 12V, 10W. It gives me current of around 0.4-0.5 amp. For controlling charging, i am using Buck converter. Which mosfet should i use for these rating? I am currently thinking about IRFZ44N. Plz help!!

Paul__B

You appear to be thinking wrong.

Solar charge controllers are available - you should be able to find one with the appropriate ratings for whatever it is you want to do which you have however, not yet described.

adyah

wvmarle

You don't HAVE to but indeed if you insist you can.

Where's your circuit diagram? Without that no advice possible as it's unclear how you're trying to use that MOSFET.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

MarkT

To choose a device the first thing is to be clear about your requirements.

For instance 5V or 12V gate drive?
On resistance?
Package style?
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

adyah

Sorry for the inconvenience! I have attached my complete schematic. I just wanted to know if i could use the same mosfet used in this schematic for my ratings as well or not.

TomGeorge

Hi,
OPs schematic.

D2 needs to be a Schottky Diode as it is part of the boost converter for the 2104.
C7  needs to be bigger to.

Tom.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

adyah

Hi,
OPs schematic.

D2 needs to be a Schottky Diode as it is part of the boost converter for the 2104.
C7  needs to be bigger to.

What about MOSFET?  can irfz44n successfully do the switching at my rating. Solar panel input should be around 15-17V and current around 0.4A.

TomGeorge

Hi,
As you are using a driver chip, then the IRFZ44N should do the job.

At least try it when you build it and see how it performs.
This is where experimentation comes in.

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

MarkT

C6, _10uF_ as the bootstrap diode?   Not that bad circuit again - forget that, follow the recommendations
in the IR2101/IR2104 datasheet.  Bootstap capacitors are sized according to the MOSFET total gate charge, and
should be a lot smaller than the 12V rail decoupling capacitor.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up