Go Down

Topic: GS1903 Strips sent from China instead of WS2811 can any one help (Read 192 times) previous topic - next topic

shanosb

Hi, I am fairly new to the wonderful world of Arduino my only other experience before this was flashing a cartridge reseter for my XYZ Davinci 3d printer.

I ordered a 5m strip of LEDs they were supposed to be WS2811 50/50 30led per meter but when they arrived the IC is a GS1903.

My plan is to use adalight and ambibox to make an ambilight setup for my cinema screen in my mancave (will post pics when its a bit further along).

Can anyone advise on what settings to enter or even better provide a sketch that I could flash to my arduino to get the lights up and working.

I did a quick search on the forum but I could not find a resolution for the GS1903 lights and there appears to be next to know information about them online.

Kindest regards and thanks in advance Shane :'(

PaulRB

Shane, have you tried a sketch for ws2812 to see if that works?

What rating of PSU are you using? (Volts & Amps)

Have you searched this forum fori GS1903?

shanosb

Hi, I am using a modified Dell computer power supply 12v 18a output, I have tried flashing with ws2811, ws2812, ws2812b and usc1903 still no joy

The only previous mention on the strips was a little vague, only leaving me more confused.

PaulRB

I am using a modified Dell computer power supply 12v 18a
Modified how?

Are you sure your LEDs require 12V supply? If they need 5V then you may have already blown them by connecting 12V.

shanosb

They are marked as 12v on the packet so hopefully not blown them up! fingers crossed anyway but now I am worried that if they are also marked as being WS2811 but are not... who knows what voltage they should be. :(

PaulRB

They are marked as 12v on the packet so hopefully not blown them up! fingers crossed anyway but now I am worried that if they are also marked as being WS2811 but are not... who knows what voltage they should be. :(
If they really are 12V, you should be able to tell by looking at the strip. With ws2811, you should be able to see chips between the leds on the strip. If there is one chip for every 3 leds, then it almost certainly is 12V. If it is one chip for every led, it is almost certainly 5V. If there are no chips visible, it is probably a ws2812 strip and also 5V (the chips are built in to the leds).

shanosb

There is one chip between each three LEDs so fingers crossed not blown them up.

PaulRB

Ok, so... The most likely thing is that they are designed to be compatible with ws2811. So post the sketch you tried with those settings. Also a schematic (hand drawn on paper is fine) and well-lit, well-focussed pictures of the circuit so that every wire can be traced.

You should have a low-ish value resistor between the Arduino pin and the strip, 100R~1K, and a large cap across the power lines to the strip (470uF~1000uF).

As I asked in post #3, please explain how you modified the PSU.

shanosb

Ok I have made some progress! I tried again with ws2811 and randomly it worked this time, I have managed to get them to communicate now with prismatik and can enable mood lighting mode, but screen capture mode is not working at all so the LEDs are not corresponding to the screen colours.

The pc power supply mod was simply cutting a set of the 12v wires from molex connector and jumping between the Green and a black wire to get the PSU to turn on without being connected to a pc.

I can try and add a resistor and capacitor tomorrow, I will speak with a neighbour that does tv repairs I am sure he will have something I can use if not I will get something from amazon prime.

Regarding pics of the circuit is it possible to post pictures on here? or can I send them to you via PM?

Thanks for all your help so far

Shane

PaulRB

Attaching pictures is easy, just read the sticky post. What it does not tell you is how to make the pictures you attach appear, embedded, in your post. Unfortunately that's a 2-stage operation. First, attach your pics and hit post. Your pics will appear as attachments under the post. Click on them and select "copy address". Then modify the post and use the insert image icon, pasting the copied address when prompted. Yeah, it's a pain.

Go Up