Go Down

Topic: getting speed data from the car (Read 109 times) previous topic - next topic

ronnier14

i will make a project that basically stop the battery of the car using a battery relay that is being controlled by the arduino uno when the car reaches a certain speed. But my problem is what kind of sensor do i have to use for getting speed data from the car. Im researching on the OBD port of the car for getting speed data, is this possible by using a Can bus shield for getting a speed data of the car? What are your thoughts on this? or other suggestions and much better ideas for getting speed of the car?. thanks for the help!  I badly need this for my thesis. thanks. :D

Paul_KD7HB

Does this car have an alternator to charge the battery? And you want to open the connection to the battery using a relay. This eaves the alternator still functioning and generating power to operate the car. In addition, the voltage from the alternator will rise to a high value and probably damage the car electronics.

Paul

floresta

. . .  and probably damage the car electronics.
In that case the car will probably stop which is most likely what he was trying to accomplish in the first place.

Don

musskopf

I'm not sure about the end goal, but using CAN Bus you should be able to easily read the car speed (PID 0x0D I guess). Another way would be by adding a hall sensor to one of the wheels/axle and calculating it using the RPM.
http://talk2.wisen.com.au

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy