Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Controlling 5 brushless DC and 5 servo motors  (Read 956 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone,
So I'm new to Arduino,electronics and hobby.But I'm really interested in it,so i got arduino mega 2560 and come up with one project.And for it I need to control speed of 5 brushless DC motors (up to 12 V), attached to 5 servo(or maybe stepper as cheaper alternative) motors  so i can change directions, and the crucial point that i want to control each and every of them separately.How can I realize it?Is there are shields that meet my needs?Do I need ESC for each BDCM?
Thanks in advance I'm really waiting for reply and appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:38:35 pm by saint » Logged

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If your brushless motors are hobby RC types, they usually use controllers that use servo type control input. Lot of previous post to study on both.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

5 brushless motors attached to 5 servos?  Am I misreading this?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

@zoomkat
I dont have them,but yes. I'm thinking about TP 2415-03T.
@MarkT
Nope,you are not =)

Ok,so my project is to make RC airship. As concept i took Kirov from C&C Red Alert game. And it has 5 motors there. But there they are static, and i want to make them dynamic for better maneuverability. Moreover i want to control each motor speed separately (but I think its good, but not necessary i can control them in pairs).Now when you know what i want,can you say me what I need for these?Which batteries,ESC's,servos and all that. Oh and i want to control it by Xbee Pro (one that have up to 1m range).Thanks!!

Ohio
Arduino Hexapod
View Profile

What are you going to use for an envelope?
5 motors (62g each), 5 props, 5 prop adapters, 5 ESCs, 5 servos, enough batteries to provide the current demands of these motors.
That is a significant amount of weight.

To get neutral buoyancy, you will need a large envelope.

Where will you be flying that you will use a 1 mile range?
Most RC blimps are used indoors.  Their flight speed cannot overcome Mother Nature except on the calmest of days

I googled up some links for you:
http://www.southernballoonworks.com/rc-blimps/10-foot-indoor-rc-blimp.html
That is a 10" blimp that can lift 8 ounces (227g).  (You have 300g just in motors)

Here is one that is advertised as outdoor:
http://www.eblimp.com/eblimps/Remote_Control_Blimps.html
From the videos, it looks like it uses a fair amount of its motor for lift.  Reasonable for outdoor.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Weight maybe your project killer. Look at what is commercially available, which you will have to match. Search the old forum as somebody was trying to do something similar in the past.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Weight won't be a problem - each motor provides lift, so the number of motors isn't the problem - and if you haven't played with a brushless RC motor you may not realise how powerful these things are - 100's of watts at 90% efficiencies.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Weight won't be a problem - each motor provides lift, so the number of motors isn't the problem - and if you haven't played with a brushless RC motor you may not realise how powerful these things are - 100's of watts at 90% efficiencies.

Looks like you have it all worked out.  smiley-wink

View Profile

My plan is to make rigid airship.it will be made with 4 carbon fiber tubes(wish to find duralumin),and some wire on the sides,covered with cloth.And inside i'm gonna put regular balloons from CVS\Partycenters etc. 1 m^3 of helium should lift 1 kg,while same amount of H lifts 1,2 - 1,5 kg. But its highly explosive,however not that hard to get as well.So I will probably make it 85 %of Helium and 15% of H its not explosive and have better lifting power.And all my construction is gonna be 1.5 - 2 M length and have like 800 cc thats enough.Besides as MarkT mentioned each of these motors are able to lift about 300+ g, and if 4 will be facing up...plus helium power...And even if motors will be facing forward and there will be no gas at all it will fly,and fly fast =)
I want xbee because i'm planning to have some telemetry(amp,v,temp,speed,gyro,accel,barometer,compass etc) in the future ( depends on budget),and if this thing will have so many batteries why not make it pro?Beside i have some friends and relatives in 1mile range,and i'm to lazy to go and bring something =)

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

That is a 2mile trip, dont really know if you can do that..
The typical quad as an autonomy of 10-12 minutes, so you have that time to make a 2 mile trip, that sounds a bit fast..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: