Go Down

Topic: I am trading my arduino shield and kits for old stuff again! (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

Looks like I might get some old computer literature (operating systems and manuals) in a trade :)

mowcius

liudr

Thanks! That's cool. A retro-computing site (based in UK?).

The winchip is good, the rest are too new to me. The pentium 200 is over priced :)

mowcius

Thanks! That's cool. A retro-computing site (based in UK?).

The winchip is good, the rest are too new to me. The pentium 200 is over priced

Yeah based in the UK - it's great for buying and selling most computer stuff without ebay (most on there are ebay haters :D )

I've got no idea about prices of stuff like that - just came across it and thought I might as well throw it up here.

liudr

So have you got experience buying/selling on that site? I might give it a try. I guess they use paypal or something like that?

mowcius

Yeah you just use paypal. There are many things I've looked at and thought I might buy off there but never actually bought something yet. It's a pretty good community though reading through and pretty much a no-tolerance policy to people trying to get away with iffy business. Normally things are done through paypal which gives you some protection if something's not quite as it seemed.
Bit like ebay used to be when it started up I suppose - people were pretty honest and you could get some right bargains sometimes - now it's got kinda stupid. It's all about money and they don't seem to care about the people actually buying stuff.

liudr

Got some 1980's literature including MS dos 2.2 :)
Is anyone else still interested?

liudr

Got 16ish pentium-level cpus yesterday from France  :D

I'm still open for trade. If you have something, let me know!

I'm especially interested in cpus and pc games like wolf3d, doom, dune2, etc.

Jack Christensen

I have a mid-70s era Intel MCS-40 evaluation kit, never used, in original box. Contains 4040 CPU, 4289 memory interface, 4002 RAM (320 bits!), 4003 shift register, 4702A PROM (256 bytes, UV erasable with the window on top), 4201 system clock, and documentation.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

liudr

Jack,

That is awesome! I'm interested. Could you send me a picture? I'll PM you.

Nick Gammon

May 07, 2011, 01:18 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:20 pm by Nick Gammon Reason: 1
Things haven't changed all that much over 34 years. Below is my first microprocessor.

I love the description "the standard Kit will accomodate programs up to 256 bytes in length". Well, that teaches you to keep it compact!

And they were so confident about their "operating system" code that they printed it in the book (page attached)! It wasn't going to change in a hurry, it was burnt into non-erasable ROM.

You could add additional RAM (it wasn't cheap) to get up to 512 bytes of memory.
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

mnmis

liudr,

What would Doom II get me?

Jack Christensen

Things haven't changed all that much over 34 years. Below is my first microprocessor.

Nick, is that a 6800-based system? I might have used something like that in college. We also built a 6800-based microcomputer from a SWTPC kit. The memory boards were maybe 6" x 8" and a whopping 4K each, we had four of them and the thing got warm enough on top to keep your coffee hot. I did like the 6800 instruction set.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Jack Christensen

May 07, 2011, 04:14 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:18 pm by Jack Christensen Reason: 1

Jack,

That is awesome! I'm interested. Could you send me a picture? I'll PM you.

You know... I got to looking at the thing... Very sorry to backpedal on you but I think I'll hang onto it. Maybe I can actually get it working! Here's a pic anyway just for fun.

liudr

May 07, 2011, 06:32 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:37 pm by liudr Reason: 1
Jack, no problem at all! Just keep it safe! Only if I had no fond memory about it, might I trade it with other stuff. Thanks for the picture. Saved it to "almost made the trade" folder for reference (I've never seen one such kit). :smiley-mr-green:

Go Up