Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: I am trading my arduino shield and kits for old stuff again!  (Read 5559 times)
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

A friend in college got a line on them somehow. We drove down to Ann Arbor to pick them up, can't remember where exactly. That would have been the late 70s. I want to say we gave $15-$20 for them, but the memory is pretty foggy at this point  smiley-wink

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

liudr,

What would Doom II get me?

mnmis,

It's less old than what I wanted but how about a Phi-connect kit for breadboarding or project installation in a box?

http://liudr.wordpress.com/gadget/phi-connect/

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/phi-connect-arduino-cable-management/

Where are you in Minnesota? I am near the party university. We might be able to meet up for an exchange smiley Please PM me.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Nick,

Yeah! 256 bytes was a lot considering if most instructions are 1 byte each, with the exception of constant operands such as jumps, math, compare or else. I wish I could have it but let's be realistic so:

File it in almost made the trade?!

BTW, my university has a dozen or so micro professor black suitcase 6502 trainers from the 80's siting with dust. No one has used them maybe since sometime in the 90's but they have state property tags. I'll be keeping them in my lab and hope that one day we can toss them (guess who will be waiting at the dumpster smiley-lol)

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

It's a nice day today by the way (just for mowcius, you had your bar-b-q now it's our turn for that weather, finally). I'll be hunting at garage sales and if you're near party university, MN, USA, look for a white ford with some stuff stuck on the rear bumper, it's a sonic ranger  smiley-mr-green smiley-mr-green smiley-mr-green

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

It's a nice day today by the way (just for mowcius, you had your bar-b-q now it's our turn for that weather, finally). I'll be hunting at garage sales and if you're near party university, MN, USA, look for a white ford with some stuff stuck on the rear bumper, it's a sonic ranger
Heh - it's been raining here now.

Can't be bothered to find the other thread atm (I will try to at some point with some pics) but my phi-connecty thing turned up smiley
I have to say I didn't think I'd end up using is so quick but it's being very handy atm breaking out the board pins into a nice line on my breadboard smiley
A 6" floppy cable is serving as the connection cable (I un-twisted the swapped section on the cable) which works well.

So thanks a lot for it - it's being more useful than I anticipated smiley

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Nick, is that a 6800-based system? I might have used something like that in college. We also built a 6800-based microcomputer from a SWTPC kit. The memory boards were maybe 6" x 8" and a whopping 4K each, we had four of them and the thing got warm enough on top to keep your coffee hot. I did like the 6800 instruction set.

Yep, 6800. This was what 16K of RAM used to look like:

Later I got another one:

I eventually got an UV-erasable EPROM board which held 8 chips.

I think they were 2K each, giving a total of 32K RAM, and 16K EPROM.

First project was to hand-code an editor and assembler (in hex machine code). This was keyed in using this:

Once working it was committed to the EPROM (2K editor and 2K assembler). That used 4 of the 8 chips.

Then to improve the assembler (get rid of bugs, heh) the original one was used to assemble a new version. The new version was burnt into the remaining 4 chips. Then the thing was powered off and the improved version moved into place. And so on for future versions.

The nice thing was that you powered it on, and it just worked (like the Arduino). No 3-minute "boot up" phase like you get with the more modern, improved systems.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

MOTHER BOARD
16K, 8 Bit
RAM
That made me chuckle smiley

You also seem to be missing a few letters on the last keypad smiley-grin
(I know - hex code needs no Zs)

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

You only got 16 "data" keys. The rest were commands:

• M - examine/change memory
  • E - Escape (abort)
  • R - examine registers
  • G - goto address and execute
  • P - punch data (save program)
  • L - load program
  • N - trace one instruction
  • V - set and remove breakpoint

The LEDs at the top showed address (4 hex digits) and contents (2 hex digits).

And there was a reset button on the edge of the board somewhere.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

You only got 16 "data" keys. The rest were commands:

• M - examine/change memory
  • E - Escape (abort)
  • R - examine registers
  • G - goto address and execute
  • P - punch data (save program)
  • L - load program
  • N - trace one instruction
  • V - set and remove breakpoint

The LEDs at the top showed address (4 hex digits) and contents (2 hex digits).

And there was a reset button on the edge of the board somewhere.

I guess there is no U either, as there is no space on the display to unassemble code.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:36:36 am by liudr » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

It's a nice day today by the way (just for mowcius, you had your bar-b-q now it's our turn for that weather, finally). I'll be hunting at garage sales and if you're near party university, MN, USA, look for a white ford with some stuff stuck on the rear bumper, it's a sonic ranger
Heh - it's been raining here now.

Can't be bothered to find the other thread atm (I will try to at some point with some pics) but my phi-connecty thing turned up smiley
I have to say I didn't think I'd end up using is so quick but it's being very handy atm breaking out the board pins into a nice line on my breadboard smiley
A 6" floppy cable is serving as the connection cable (I un-twisted the swapped section on the cable) which works well.

So thanks a lot for it - it's being more useful than I anticipated smiley

You are welcome. Just remember if you get a chance, snap a couple pics of it in your projects:)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:37:22 am by liudr » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Did you say something liudr? I just see quoted messages here.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Blasted iPad. I couldn't see all of the content I inputed as it did not display scroll bar and has no up down arrows:(
Will try again once I boot my main computer. iPad is just a toy for tech-challenged people.

Fixed it eh retard apple, sorry, I might have Tourette's Syndrome.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:59:55 am by liudr » Logged

Georgia, US
Arduino makes my head hurt :(
View Profile

Blasted iPad. I couldn't see all of the content I inputed as it did not display scroll bar and has no up down arrows:(
Will try again once I boot my main computer. iPad is just a toy for tech-challenged people.

It's got some serious issues/limitations

(one way to get past that issue is to tap and hold, then drag down, it'll take you a while to get down there, but it's better than nothing I guess

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

It's got some serious issues/limitations

One of the interesting things about working with small systems is that you start to think about design decisions others have made. For example, I was playing with making a calculator out of a small LCD and a standard 16-key keypad. You start to realize why calculators have more than 16 keys. For a start, you need 10 for digits (0-9), leaving 6. Then four go for + - / * leaving two. Then you need a "=" or "enter" key, and a C key (or the only way of starting again is to power it off). That's used all 16 keys. No room for a decimal point, or a sign-change key. Probably a minimum would be 20, which gives you those (decimal and +/-) plus on/off and something like % or E or SQRT.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

If you are ok with up down for numbers you can save some keys. Do a menu or lost for all operations.
I would have space for three operands and one operator smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Jump to: