Go Down

Topic: Why doesn't my SD card increase sketch size? (Read 258 times) previous topic - next topic

mbferguson

I'm tired of this wimpy board with it's wimpy memory. How can I put a sketch on SD card? I don't mind if it is slower if I can have BIG code.  :)

AWOL

And in what way is this a programming question?

Google "Harvard architecture".
And think before posting.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Juraj

reading your previous posts, I think you have bitmaps for display. bitmaps should not be part of the sketch and you can put them on SD card and transfer to display memory without using much memory. what arduino do you have?
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

mbferguson

reading your previous posts, I think you have bitmaps for display. bitmaps should not be part of the sketch and you can put them on SD card and transfer to display memory without using much memory. what arduino do you have?

I didn't realize those bitmaps took up legit 50% of the entire memory space. I gave up on those damn things, but atleast I know how to use them now. :)

I have the Uno R3.

AWOL

I'm tired of this wimpy board with it's wimpy memory.
Then complain to the academic staff. You're paying them.

Unless you are academic staff (it has happened), in which case, grow up.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Juraj

I didn't realize those bitmaps took up legit 50% of the entire memory space. I gave up on those damn things, but atleast I know how to use them now. :)

I have the Uno R3.
And you have not enough flash memory for code or not enough RAM for data?
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

mbferguson

And you have not enough flash memory for code or not enough RAM for data?
My sketch size is taking up around 65% of total program storage space. It is only a matter of time before my fingers erupt with more code and burst at the seams of the 100% barrier. I'm not sure how RAM works with the Arduino, I thought plugging in an SD card would default to that for storage of sketch size that was too large

mbferguson

Nov 21, 2018, 01:52 pm Last Edit: Nov 21, 2018, 01:52 pm by mbferguson
Then complain to the academic staff. You're paying them.

Unless you are academic staff (it has happened), in which case, grow up.
I thought MODS were supposed to be nice to stupid peeps like me???  >:( I'm gonna tell my mom on you old man  :o

AWOL

I'm not sure how RAM works with the Arduino, I thought plugging in an SD card would default to that for storage of sketch size that was too large
Ask the academic staff - it's what your mom is paying them for.

I'm guessing you're not on a CompSci course.

AWOL

I thought MODS were supposed to be nice to stupid peeps like me???  >:( I'm gonna tell my mom on you old man  :o
The mods generally are even-handed to everyone, but some users abuse their patience.

We're only human.

Juraj

My sketch size is taking up around 65% of total program storage space. It is only a matter of time before my fingers erupt with more code and burst at the seams of the 100% barrier. I'm not sure how RAM works with the Arduino, I thought plugging in an SD card would default to that for storage of sketch size that was too large
don't worry about flash size if you don not plan to add some big libraries. the code works even at flash 100% full. there is no more allocations at runtime. and there are always tricks how to free up more flash.

it is Harvard architecture. the code is in read-only memory (flash in this case) and variables are in RAM. after every compilation you get printed the code size and the size of global variables know to compiler

adwsystems

The SD card does not directly augment the internal memory of the Atmel chip, in the same way a SD card or thumb drive does not augment the memory memory of the computer you are using to post with. Very much different, but very much the same. With that said, you can write a program to swap or load load to/from the CD card and into the internal memory.

jimLee

I was in the same boat you are.

Try one of these : teensy my goto is the Teensy 3.2.

-jim lee
PNW Ardiuno & Maker club
1012 9Th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221 (Around the back of building)

Go Up