Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: voltage level conversion from arduino to 3.3V FPGA  (Read 610 times)
Portugal
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi guys,

I need to output some data from my arduino mega to a 3.3V FPGA (Altera Cyclone II EP2C5Q208). From what i see in the datasheet the FPGA's pins are not 5V tolerant.

I was thinking of using a couple of 74HC4050 to convert the arduino's 5V output to the 3.3V inputs i need (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7544.pdf).

Can anyone tell me if this would work to protect the FPGA and get the signals across intact?

Thanks smiley

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by de

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

Yes, that looks like it will work.

If you are not concerned with speed and you only want the signals to go across in one direction (5V --> 3.3V) you can just use voltage dividers.

--
The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

Portugal
View Profile

High speed would be nice, but it's not a requirement. I'll have to check how far i can go by using voltage dividers, and order the chips if it's not enough.

Thanks for the advice! smiley-grin

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by de

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: