Go Down

Topic: Installing drivers on arduino nano (Read 2788 times) previous topic - next topic

pert

Forget about the driver. The problem has nothing to do with a driver.

sterretje

Did you try the 'old bootloader' option as suggested in reply #6 ?
Just realised that that will not help if the port does not exist.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

ArduinoTechs

use the old bootloader option from the processor dropdown list and update the driver using device manager.
if error still persists switch to another pc and install the drivers there.
or just use Bluino or Arduino droid on android to upload the code once u compile the code(i recommend Bluino Loader).
or something might be wrong with ur Nano
 just search google for "CH341g driver download" .
if problem still persists msg me personally

ChickenLittle

Please can someone tell me how I can upload my code to my Arduino Nano I have been trying for weeks and I cannot figure it out please tell me I want to enter it in a competition and the competition has a deadline so please tell me how I can upload the code to the Arduino Nano.

Thanks so much.

ballscrewbob

Jan 03, 2019, 08:21 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2019, 10:44 pm by ballscrewbob
@ChickenLittle

Would be useful to tell us more about your particular issue ?
What have you tried as that saves us guessing or going over what you might have already done ?
Did you read this whole post as there were some great tips in it ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ChickenLittle

Someone please write back I do not know what to do.

ChickenLittle

Yes @ballscrewbob I read every comment in this post and did what they said to do but it still does not work and I tried to install drivers for the nano but it says that the most recent version of drivers is already on my computer.  So I do not know how to get the code to upload to my board.  Please tell me how I can upload the code to the nano.

Thanks so much.

sterretje

Jan 05, 2019, 02:35 am Last Edit: Jan 05, 2019, 02:36 am by sterretje
Is the error stay the same during al your attempts or did it change?

Code: [Select]
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

If not, post the new error messge that you get.

What does device manager say under Port (COM and LPT) ? A clone on my system says USB-Serial CH340 (COM18); the com port on your system will probably be different.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

ChickenLittle

Yes the error message is the same and in the device manager it says mine says USB-Serial CH340 (COM5) which is the port it is currently plugged in to if I plug it into com 4 it says USB-Serial CH340 (COM4).

Thanks so much.

ballscrewbob

It is NOT plugged into a COM PORT it emulates one.
There is a major difference...

Real Arduinos use the VID&PID etc so the computer knows what it should represent as a COM port.

The CH340 based boards are different in that respect and can change the COM number depending on the USB port they are plugged into.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

sterretje

In the IDE you need to select the port that windows shows in device manager after you connect the board. Did you?

So if device manager states COM4, select COM4 in the IDE.

After a failed upload, are the available com ports in the IDE and device manager still the same? Or did they change?

Although antivirus software usually will not result in "not found", it might be worth a try to temporarily disable your antivirus software and see if that solves the problem.

ChickenLittle

@ArduinoTechs I installed ch341g driver but now what do I do how do I have it help me upload the code.

Thanks so much.

ChickenLittle

@ballscrewbob are you saying the problem is the board because if you are I do not think it is the board because I bought the board from the official Arduino website and I have another Nano from Newark element 14 and when I upload the code to that board I get the same area so I do not think it is the board.  However, I am not sure if you are saying it is the board.  Could you please clarify.

Thanks so much.

ballscrewbob

I had to read the whole post as it is getting a little long.

OK so you have an OFFICIAL NANO.

In that case when you installed the IDE the correct drivers should have been installed unless you had any errors or warnings during the IDE install that we do not know about ?

That you can see the correct port both in device manager and the IDE would indicate no issues so not sure anymore why you say you need a new driver.

It looks like driver wise and port wise you are good to start uploading.

If what I said above is all true then its time to move onto uploading a sketch.

sterretje

I had that same stupid problem yesterday when using a programmer on my Win7 system; AVRdude could not find the port although it was visible in both device manager and IDE and selected in the IDE.

A reboot solved the issue for me; must be a Windows thing ;)

Go Up