avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding using Lilypad

Hi,

I am on a Macbook Pro OS 10.5.8, updated to latest version of Java, LilyPad Mainboard 328, FTDI Basic Breakout board, using Arduino 0022 on serial port dev/tty.usbserialA-800cr8i

I can load the blink sketch and then when I upload the blink without delay sketch following or change the timing parameter blink sketch and try to upload, I get the following message.

Short Version
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Long Version
Binary sketch size: 994 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
/Applications/Programming/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Programming/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbserial-A800cr8i -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/fT/fTB-Rl+CF9esGJrfh6RfaE+++TI/-Tmp-/build7288028815964016039.tmp/BlinkWithoutDelay.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 9 2007 at 11:20:31
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Programming/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/kxxxx/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-A800cr8i
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

I looked at the following threads to solve this issues as these people had the same problem, but not clear if the problem was solved.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,50929.0.html
AND
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,28333.0.html

I have swapped out USB mini cable cable and the breakout board and the lilypad ( I have two of each), double checked the FDTI drivers making sure they are the latest ones, held down the reset button (even though I should not have to). I feel like it is something simple that I am not checking.

txt rxt blinks red when holding down reset on upload.

The green LED on the Lilypad blinks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am having the same problem. I have tried troubleshooting many times and I still have the same core issue. After going through two Lily Pads I have been able to upload the blink program once and then I haven't been able to upload any other programs or even the same program again. I have tried using the reset button while uploading and it hasn't worked either. After scouring the internet I still haven't found a solution. Any help would be great!

Get an usbtiny. It works with the IDE, it is cheap, it does not require the presence of a bootloader, after correct setup it just works. Always.

Don't buy any of these: 'LilyPad Arduino Simple Board'. If the bootloader dies, you can throw it away or desolder the chip.